Thread: Advice on old HP5 & HP6's

Default Advice on old HP5 & HP6's

I have 2 old HP6 printers and 1 old HP5 printer. I was considering if practical to get patch cables to run 1 of them hardwired off the router on a relatively new computer system. They worked fine until replaced with newer HP LaserJet Color printers. The new MFP M479fdw is a beast, so don't really need the old 8 pg/min B&W hardware. Probably just recycle the printers at BB & donate the 2 unused toner cartridges to charity.
    Open to suggestions.
    Thanks---Irishman49er

Quote Originally Posted by Irishman49er View Post
    I have 2 old HP6 printers and 1 old HP5 printer. I was considering if practical to get patch cables to run 1 of them hardwired off the router on a relatively new computer system. They worked fine until replaced with newer HP LaserJet Color printers. The new MFP M479fdw is a beast, so don't really need the old 8 pg/min B&W hardware. Probably just recycle the printers at BB & donate the 2 unused toner cartridges to charity.
    Open to suggestions.
    Thanks---Irishman49er
    I'm guessing you have the LaserJet 5L & LaserJet 6L? Those you might as well recycle.
    There was a plain "LaserJet 5" (no "L" designation) that has an MIO slot where you can install an HP JetDirect card with an Ethernet port.
    https://www.printertechs.com/shop/jetdirect-j2552a

Depends on what you're printing, but most documents are just black, so using a colour laser for them is a bit of a waste, unless you have a real deal on toner.