Thread: LaserJet 5 RB1-2131 Paper Guide Installation Help

Default LaserJet 5 RB1-2131 Paper Guide Installation Help

Found your website and this forum after alot of searching for a solution to my problem. Thanks for offering a message board where we can ask questions and look for solutions to common problems. I am wondering if someone could help me out.

I have two HP LaserJet 5 printers that have a broken "RB1-2131 Paper Guide". This thin ribbed plastic part fits in the bottom of the printer just above the paper tray. Specifically, the little plastic pins on one end of the ribbed part are broken off, so the part dropped into the paper tray and now the printer won't feed paper from Tray 1.

I managed to find replacement parts on-line at a very good price, but cannot figure out how to actually install these parts. I already broke one that I "borrowed" from a dead-parts-only printer I keep around for this purpose. It's possible to flex the part using two sets of pliers, but I can't seem to get it out or in without breaking the pins. I also tried removing the whole lower paper handling assembly, but still could not access or open up the sides to get the paper guide in place safely.

I know this request will not make your company a dime, but I am wondering if one of your service technicians can offer any tips on how to install this paper guide without breaking it. Or, perhaps, a page or two out of a service manual?

There is a trick to putting those things back in. Remove the paper tray and the toner cartridge (so you will not spill any toner) and set the printer on its back.

Put the right hand pins in place. Move the left hand pins up to just below the place they will rest in. Grab the center of the strip with a sturdy pair of needle nose pliers. Get a death grip on the pliers. Hold the other end with another pair of pliers or a sturdy hemostat. Twist the center to make the strip shorter and gently finess the left hand end into place. Be sure to hold your mouth just right while you do this! It takes quite a bit of torque to twist the strip enough so you can get the left hand end seated.

Right means the end near your right hand. I have put a lot of these in and never broke one when twisting it. You CAN break the pins on the left end if you try to force them into place. Twist harder!

Al

Big Al,

Thanks ... that's exactly what I have been trying, but never seem to get the dang thing twisted far enough to avoid knocking the pins out. As you suggested, I'll TWIST HARDER!!

Appreciate your insight and experience ... I'll give it a go.

Default It works!

Thanks Big Al! Great advice. It worked for me.

The only thing that I would add is that the RB1-2131 has different sized pins on each end. The thicker pins go on the the right-hand side (as Big Al describes) and the thinner pins go on the left-hand side.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    There is a trick to putting those things back in. Remove the paper tray and the toner cartridge (so you will not spill any toner) and set the printer on its back.

Put the right hand pins in place. Move the left hand pins up to just below the place they will rest in. Grab the center of the strip with a sturdy pair of needle nose pliers. Get a death grip on the pliers. Hold the other end with another pair of pliers or a sturdy hemostat. Twist the center to make the strip shorter and gently finess the left hand end into place. Be sure to hold your mouth just right while you do this! It takes quite a bit of torque to twist the strip enough so you can get the left hand end seated.

Right means the end near your right hand. I have put a lot of these in and never broke one when twisting it. You CAN break the pins on the left end if you try to force them into place. Twist harder!

Al