Thread: LaserJet 4M and LaserJet 4MV Print Quality

Default LaserJet 4M and LaserJet 4MV Print Quality

I have one each of the two printers in the subject line. I know they are 'old school' printers but each is fully equipped with essential options such as an envelope feeder, extra paper trays including essential support for 11x17 schematic diagrams, extra memory and so on. I'd like to keep on using them as they have always served me very well in the past. They been unused for the last 18 months, maybe even longer.

Both printers exhibit a similar problem, but this posting is just about the LaserJet 4MV. First some background:

I just replaced the fuser with a rebuilt one. I also just installed a new HP toner cartridge from old stock.

Like the other printer, the 4M, the 4MV's print quality is not very good and unacceptable compared to the good old days. The background is a uniform very light grey and the contrast leaves a lot to be desired.

The transfer roller "looks" clean. Any ideas on what to pursue next would be appreciated.

d2b, aka "Dennis"

Blog Entries

Whatever you do, don't try to clean the transfer roller with any liquids, only use compressed air or a dry cloth.

Try a half-way test http://www.printertechs.com/printer-...g/halfway-test

It sounds like you have bad toner cartridges.
    Site administrator www.printertechs.com

Default Half-Way Test / Transfer Roller

I'll run the half way test this week. In the meantime, are new transfer rollers available for the HP 4V or 4MV? Also, if it comes to this, is it possible to replace or repair the HV power supply?

Dennis..."d2b"

That background shading issue really sounds like a problem with your toners. I wouldn't recommend using old stock HP toner on the 4V series; those old stock toners unfortunately are so old that they are getting notorious for leaking/background shading problems right out of the boxes.

Regarding power supplies and transfer rollers, they are available (give us a call if you need to order some) but again, with the age of this machine, essentially none of the parts are as good as the originals.

Since quality parts are not available, I would really recommend you consider a more long-term solution-- upgrade to an HP LaserJet 5000 or LaserJet 5200. Both of these are better printers than the 4V and quality parts are still available. You can give us a call @ 866-352-7108 with any questions.