Thread: cp6015x

Default cp6015x

Looked at a cp6015x today. Powered on, the display is illuminated, the fans are doing what fans do, the motors are humming and turning.
    All good so far. However, there is never any text on the display, there is no heartbeat on the formatter, and the engine test doesn't work,
    with or without the formatter in place. Formatter and its' 512MB DIMM were reseated.

Any ideas??
    This is a billable call, so I just can't throw parts into this willy nilly(always wanted to say that).

I was working on a CM6040f yesterday with the same problem. I printed the book some time ago. It says if the fans are running
    and the printer/scanner run a clearing cycle then the DC controller is working. Since the display is fed from the formatter
    then the problem is likely the formatter. I checked on the Internet and a formatter for the 6040 (Refurb) was $800 and new
    it was ~$1,600. I may be the memory and that is not too expensive. The 6040 seemed to have an Ethernet connection,
    the lights on the RJ-45 port were blinking but we could not PING the printer, it said "Unavailable". I doubt it is the display
    panel on the 6040 because they go bad very seldom. If the LCD display or the backlight was bad the printer would still
    come ready and you could PING it. An Id10t check would be the plug on the display, also unlikely to be loose. Good Hunting!
    Al
    PS The only other thing I could think of would be to remove the RJ-45 interface module from the formatter. It looks too
    simple to actually be a NIC. If that lets it come to ready then you could put a regular NIC in the secondary slot. This
    sounds like grabbing at straws by a drowning man but I thought there might be a slim chance that small board might
    be hanging up the formatter.
    Al
    Last edited by Big Al; 05-07-2013 at 07:50 AM. Reason: More ideas

Thanks Al, Because it's a billable call I'm waiting for the customer to decide if he wants me to order the DIMM. It is the cheapest part that I can replace.
    Remember the engine test doesn't work with or without the formatter.

Customer finally called back. They had another broke CP6015x in storage. They took the DIMM out of that one
    and installed it in the one I was working on. The DIMM fixed the problem.
    They saved parts costs and I billed them the minimum 2hour diagnostic time.