Thread: Add JetDirect to LJ5 on Novell 4.11 Network

Question Add JetDirect to LJ5 on Novell 4.11 Network

I want to add a laserjet5 to my Novell Netware 4.11 Network without having to put a computer next to it acting as a print server. So I bought a JetDirect Card # J2552 on the web which I understood to be a compatible interfacing device. But I haven't gotten very far. After putting the card into the printer and turning the power on, the printer displays an error "80 Service (01F0)" and I can get no further. Documentation and guidance for setting these aging things up to work together is scarce out there, but it seems there ought to be a way. Can anyone advise? Thanks !

Blog Entries

Do you get the error with the printer unconnected to the network or only when it's connected to the network? Does the error go away when you remove the card?
    Site administrator www.printertechs.com

Error does NOT appear when the printer is started WITHOUT the card. It does not make any difference wether the network cable is plugged into the card or not, though. Th error appears in either of those cases.

I am getting responses suggesting that the card is bad. I don't suppose there' s a simple way to test for that? I DID try it in another Laserjet5 and got the same error.

That would be the test. If you've tried the same card in 2 printers with the same result, then your card is toast. Try an external print server; they are less expensive and not printer specific.