Thread: Twin Epson Stylus Photo 1280 Printers

Talking Twin Epson Stylus Photo 1280 Printers

Hello everyone!

I have a slight (read: huge) issue I need help with:

we have two Epson 1280s to print off our tons of graphics (advertising/print agency). Right now, only one of them is useable on the whole network, and they both take forever to print!

Background: Our network is Windows Exchange Server 2000, and we have two Macs and eight PCs all running off that. This network can slow down quite a bit when too much activity is going on (which is always).

Anyway ... If you're still with me, great! Back to the Epsons ...

One is on an EpsonNet print server, and is setup on an IP. The other is hooked up to the Macs through USB, and only they can use it. I want to know the best way to:

- hook up the epsons so the whole network can use them both without slowing the network down

- maybe find a better solution to these two printers, possible a Xerox 7700 laser printer to do high-quality color images for us instead. (Ink for the epsons is very pricey, which sucks).

To whomever can help: you're a godsend! Thanks for reading!

- HappyBunny

A colour laser is the most cost effective way to go long term. I prefer HP to Xerox as you aren't stuck with your dealer: any competent tech can service an HP and get parts for it. Which ever printer you get, an ethernet connection is the best way to go as it uses standard protocols and connects directly to the network. Try using a print server device on the other printer aswell if you want everyone to access it. The speed issue may be due to the size of files your sending out. Also, check on epson.com to see if you have the best drivers for network use. Is it slow only when printing or also on the net, etc? There could be other issues here too.

Thanks for the help, mattchall!

Ah, yes I would have loved to get a laser printer, but there is little faith among my superiors in laser printout quality (even though I asked for samples and they were quite impressive). We are stuck with these two epsons for now.

I called Epson and of course, they recommended their EpsonNet server, so I think we'll get one of those. The printers print slowly for all our files---just sending them takes a wait, and then printing on high quality will always be a while. The PCs will actually freeze up while they're printing. And don't bother spooling jobs---it'll make everything crash.

We have the latest drivers, so I'm not really sure if that's the issue. It's probably our file sizes and the constant need for highest quality prints.

Thanks for the tips!!!

Okay, so the Epson Print server is between $130 and $200 (CAD) and it's rare to find. Geez ... do I have to stick to an epson print server? Can a Linksys or other brand work as well?

I do not like epson prices.

Any print server should work, but get a known brand for support/ reliability; D-Link, Lynksys, HP are good. Even spare PC.

Linksys servers seem to only work with PCs. I think I may be stuck with the pricey epson.

The hunt goes on.

Is the Epson print server internal or external? I assume the printer has a parallel port. If so, any external print server will work. It only needs the ethernet 10/100 input and the parallel printer output. You could even configure a spare PC to be a dedicated print server running Linux or Windows.

tigerdirect.ca has the D-Link DP301P+ for $81.00.
    Last edited by mattchall; 04-27-2005 at 09:23 AM.

I've used a dlink ps-301p+ (lpt1) and a dlink ps-301u (usb) with great results. Also a Zonet zps2102 (2 usb and 1 lpt) which is my favorite since I can connect all my network's printers to one device.

There really isn't anything special about the Epson Print server. I'd check www.newegg.com for print servers and pay attention to the user ratings related to mac compatibility if you are hyper concerned.

ps the dlink 301's i mentioned are $49 at compusa and the zonet is around $75.