Thread: CM2320 color registration problem - fixed

Blog Entries

Default CM2320 color registration problem - fixed

just posting this to help anyone else who might see this problem. It has to do with color registration problems in the HP color laserjet CM2320 series, CM 2320fxi mfp, etc.

People would probably describe it as blurry color, mis-aligned color, offset color, or I would call it a color registration problem. Here are a couple discussions of the issue...

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer...r/td-p/1142311

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Color-M...t/td-p/4424563

The symptoms in this particular printer were: black prints perfectly horizontally and vertically, Cyan and yellow seem to print skewed or tilted.

We updated firmware, ran several calibrations to no avail, and transfer belt looked good. Ran an engine test and the page looked perfect - no skew. Swapped formatter boards and the problem was solved. I normally wouldn't think of the formatter causing color registration issues, more likely the dc-controller, but in this case the formatter fixed it.
    Site administrator www.printertechs.com

I've seen that issue in almost every single color printer HP has made. The only thing they all had in common was re-manufactured toner. It has been fixed by various things, formatters, dc controllers, even input assemblies on a 2600. I don't think your formatter is actually bad, but like a lot of other issues, replacing the formatter will get the printer working again and mask the real issue. I'd bet you could put that formatter into a different printer and it would work fine.

Did you happen to try a cold reset and NVRAM Init before replacing it?

Blog Entries

yes, and yes...the factory defaults were restored and nvram reset with no effect. The key here is printing an engine test, which in this case was perfect, pointing to the formatter.
    Site administrator www.printertechs.com