Thread: LaserJet 3700 - Bleed of ink onto subsequent pages

Default LaserJet 3700 - Bleed of ink onto subsequent pages

Hi all. We have an issue with our printer whereby heavy use of color will bleed onto the rollers (?) and will appear as a band on the subsequent page. This happens after a number of pages. We have cleaned a number of times, putting a blank page through will also clean this off, but the issue returns.

Is this a fuser issue, or does anyone have other thoughts? Supplies are HP genuine, Fuser is at 83%, Image transfer kit at 54%

Thanks!!Name:  IMG_1057_2.JPG
Views: 1107
Size:  78.0 KB
    Last edited by sgclarke; 05-27-2011 at 12:08 PM.

As soon as it happens, try running the "disable cartridge" diag. It could be a bad cartridge. You didn't mention changing any of them.

Thought number 2. Use the OPTIMIZE menu and lower the fixing temperature.
    1. Select and enter the CONFIGURE DEVICE menu
    2. Select and enter the PRINT QUALITY
    3. Select and enter the OPTIMIZE
    4. Select and enter the FUSER DOWN 1
    5. Select and enter the ON
    If it doesn't work try FUSER DOWN 2
    Reasoning...melted toner is stuck onto the fixing sleeve and not onto the paper while the fixing unit is heated up, and then fused onto the paper

I dont think it's the fuser. The defect is ghosted about three inches, so it will be one of the toners that is the issue.

Thank you both for your replies. So I have changed one toners - the Magenta which has been in the machine for 3 years, the others were all changed this year (but I am not discounting that there may be an issue with one of them). I have a Cyan and Black I can change (no Yellow on site).

The first test after changing the Magenta gave the same issue (although I am yet to turn down the fuser as suggested). Just wanted to post more pages/ images if this helps you narrow down the issue before I go opening more toner packs.

You can see on the first that it is leaving yellow and magenta toner on the fixing sleeve. These were taken after changing the magenta cartridge.

Thanks again for the help.

Name:  IMG_0553 (Small).JPG
Views: 1025
Size:  46.4 KBName:  IMG_0554_2.JPG
Views: 1022
Size:  42.8 KBName:  IMG_0555_2.JPG
Views: 1051
Size:  40.2 KBName:  IMG_0556 (Small).JPG
Views: 1033
Size:  48.6 KB
    Last edited by sgclarke; 05-27-2011 at 12:12 PM.

Default One more picture

One more picture. I am wondering if it is an issue with the transfer kit.

Name:  IMG_0557 (Medium).JPG
Views: 1039
Size:  97.5 KB
    Last edited by sgclarke; 05-25-2011 at 05:52 PM.

Default Cart check

And finally - pictures of the diagnostic cartridge check. Again with the new magenta cart.
    Name:  IMG_0558_2.JPG
Views: 1013
Size:  44.7 KBName:  IMG_0559_2.JPG
Views: 968
Size:  52.2 KBName:  IMG_0561_2.JPG
Views: 1038
Size:  48.7 KBName:  IMG_0562 (Small).JPG
Views: 987
Size:  18.3 KB
    Last edited by sgclarke; 05-27-2011 at 12:25 PM.

It's got to be either faulty toners leaking heavily and as a result toner accumulating on the transfer belt, or else a faulty transfer belt.

I would go ahead and install the replacement toners you have (they maintain a decent shelf life even after being opened/tested so you can always go back to the other toners if the new ones don't correct the defect) ... and if replacing the other 2 toners doesn't significantly improve the print quality, then I would replace the Transfer Belt.
    Last edited by cs_steve; 06-03-2011 at 01:13 AM.