Thread: HP LaserJet 4250n 4350n loss of embedded I/O

Default HP LaserJet 4250n 4350n loss of embedded I/O

Does aybody know the correct procedure for replacing a formatter in an "N" version of an HP 4250 or 4350?

I have done the "install, power up, wait 5 minutes" thing, and
    tried NV Ram Init, cold reset....
    no luck.
    I cannot seem to get the ethernet connection back.

Any memory? Need at least a 64 MB chip to initialize network. If have, must turn on in menu on printer. Or add a NIC card, and it willl be seen. If not, replace formatter.
    Ensure it is the correct one for that model!

Sounds like you either got some bad formatter boards as replacements, or else this machine is not truly an "N" model.

Rather than buying another formatter board, it would be a lot cheaper to just install a separate JetDirect card into one of the open EIO slots. Should work just as well.

The recommended JetDirect for this model is the 620n card.
    http://printertechsdotcom.stores.yah...ej7j762re.html

Default 4250n and 4350n loss of embedded I/O

I have replaced about a dozen formatters on 4250n and 4350n printers, and each time, the embedded I/O disappears.

I have tried every method that I know of to prevent this anomaly, including:

Waiting for about 5 minutes after booting up for the DC board and the new formatter to exchange data.
    Doing a cold reset.
    Doing a NV Ram Init.
    Checking to see that the embedded lan is enabled.
    and, there is at least the correct minimum of ram memory on board.

I recently heard that HP has a "batch file" that is supposed to restore the embedded lan.
    Has anybody heard of this?

This problem is suspicious, at best... there must be an answer out there somewhere!

HELP!!!

Thanks,

Jim Rearick
    owner
    Servicemax, Inc.
    Wickliffe (Cleveland), Ohio

I have been repairing Laserjet printers for about 25 years and

That is not a known issue. I would change vendors for your formatter boards ... I"m assuming these are 'refurbished' boards and my first guess is they are sending faulty boards.

Every time we've since this it's been a board that has been 'overwritten' and lost its NIC capability.

For 4250/4350 series, a formatter can lose its embedded NIC capability if it gets installed into a non-networking machine (the DC controller on that machine can write to the formatter board and 'erase' its embedded NIC capability). If it is functioning properly, a formatter board should recognize its embedded LAN right away upon install. You should not have to install any firmware patches, etc.
    Last edited by cs_steve; 03-30-2011 at 01:03 PM.

Right, cs_steve, and they are usually tested on the correct machine by reputable dealers. Refurbed DC's can be an issue also, if NVRAM is blank. Try printertechs for replacement parts. It will be done right.

Default The Answer

All right you super techs. Here is the simple answer that it seems no one knows.

How to enabling the network on hp4250. Turn machine on. As memory is counting, press & hold check mark button until all 3 led's light. Release button - select language appears on the screen. Use down arrow to select embedded lan (enable / disable). Enable it and then back out of it by hitting check mark again. If formatter is good and you do a config page you should get the second page with the info for network.

Chuck, A1 Office Equipment Service
    Jacksonville, FL

Chuck, like we mentioned this is a known issue, replacement boards can lose their network personality if they are tested/installed on non-network machines.

The embedded LAN setting you are referring to is "enabled" by default ... the embedded LAN setting does not turn itself off, it has to be manually disabled, so assuming he didn't disable the LAN after installing the new formatter board (which wouldn't make any sense) then that setting wouldn't apply in this case.

Default Exactly Correct!

Quote Originally Posted by a1oes View Post
    All right you super techs. Here is the simple answer that it seems no one knows.

How to enabling the network on hp4250. Turn machine on. As memory is counting, press & hold check mark button until all 3 led's light. Release button - select language appears on the screen. Use down arrow to select embedded lan (enable / disable). Enable it and then back out of it by hitting check mark again. If formatter is good and you do a config page you should get the second page with the info for network.

Chuck, A1 Office Equipment Service
    Jacksonville, FL
    If all the stars are in alignment, Chuck's procedure is correct. I purchased a (used, of course) 4240n. From the specs, it looked like a slightly slower 4250. But I didn't realize this: HP made the 4240 by taking a physically identical 4250/4350 and modified the microcode so that it's slightly speed-limited from the 4250 AND won't accept "...X" (highest capacity) toners. I purchased a motor controller board for $10 and swapped that in. I was lucky. It was a 4250n board. Performed the down-arrow / up-arrow / menu, 5 x 5 minutes instructions that can be found in many places, and voila: I have a 4250n. I did need to perform Chuck's instructions to re-enable the formatter's embedded LAN port, but it's running great, and takes those "X" toners. The slower speed vs. the 4350 in this case is not a problem at all.