Thread: LJ P2015d with 3 amber and 2 green lights.

Default LJ P2015d with 3 amber and 2 green lights.

I'm not sure that this printer is worth the effort to fix, but I promised I would make an attempt. So...
    does anyone know what three amber and two green lights mean when the printer is first powered up? The side fan come on, the motors turn for a second, the 5 lights ligth up as soon as you throw the power switch. They never blink or turn off while the printer on. The two green LEDs are the power light (fifth LED) and the (sixth) LED right beside the green Menu button. The three amber lights are the problem light (fourth), the paper tray light (second), and the paper path light (first). From top (closest to the back of the printer) to bottom (closest to the front of the printer), they are: the first, second, and fourth are amber. The fifth and sixth are green.

Any help would be appriciated,
    David M.

It sounds like a fatal error. There should be a secondary light pattern after you press the go button. That will let us know if the error relates to the formatter, the scanner, or is a general fatal error. I would also try doing a cold reset. To perform a cold reset:

1. Turn off the printer.
    2. Press and hold the Go button.
    3. Turn the printer on, and continue to hold the Go button for at least 5 seconds, but not longer than 15 seconds. During this process, the Attention LED turns on.
    4. Release the Go button before the Ready LED turns on. If the Ready LED turns on, you'll need to repeat the process.

If that doesn't work, you can also try an NVRAM reset, which follows the same steps, except you hold down the Go button for at least 20 seconds.

Ok, I tried a cold reset and reseting NVRAM. Holding down the Go button didn't have any effect on the five lights. I could never get any type of change with the lights. I also tried removing the toner and the paper tray to see if that had any affect. Notthing.

David

Default LJ P2015d with three amber and 2 green lights.

One more piece of information to add. I have since found out that this happened to both printers when they changed out the toner cartridges. I've looked inside but I don't see any obvious damage.

David

It is most likely the formatter, then.

Blog Entries

Formatters on the P2015 have been a high failure part, my advise is to replace the printer. Formatters are generally $100+. If you really like the design of the P2015 consider the previous model the Laserjet 1320 which does not have the formatter problems but looks very similar. Note that the 1320 does use a different toner.
    Site administrator www.printertechs.com

The printer is up and running now, and this is one fix you will most likely shake your head at...
    I looked out on the internet under LJ P2015 and found several hundred people that have had the same problem with their 2015's. Here is the fix:
    Take the formatter board out of the printer, remove the black plastic tape from under the extra RAM slot (remove theRAM too if you have any). Preheat your kitchen oven to 375 degrees, place the formatter on a cookie sheet, and bake it for 8 to 10 minutes. Let it cool, but the printer back together and start printing! It's been printing for several days now. Some people say 400 degrees but be aware that others are saying that it makes the connectors hard to plug back together.

Later,
    David

Sounds like one of your fixes, Big Al

Smile P2015 errors

Quote Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
    The printer is up and running now, and this is one fix you will most likely shake your head at...
    I looked out on the internet under LJ P2015 and found several hundred people that have had the same problem with their 2015's. Here is the fix:
    Take the formatter board out of the printer, remove the black plastic tape from under the extra RAM slot (remove theRAM too if you have any). Preheat your kitchen oven to 375 degrees, place the formatter on a cookie sheet, and bake it for 8 to 10 minutes. Let it cool, but the printer back together and start printing! It's been printing for several days now. Some people say 400 degrees but be aware that others are saying that it makes the connectors hard to plug back together.

Later,
    David
    heating the formatter has worked for me, done about 10 now. Once had to redo after a couple of days (started going funny again). It's apparently the solder used since production was moved to China.