Thread: What printer should I get?

Default What printer should I get?

First, I'm sorry if I missed an old post that covers this subject.

My job involves printing 4,000-4,500 pages per day (approximately 120,000 pages per month), most of it double sided. Everything we print is on 75-80 gsm (20lbs) 11x8.5 standard letter paper. This printing has to start and finish within 5-6 hours. Right now, we are using two HP Color LaserJet 4700dn's and one HP Color LaserJet 9500hdn. I would like to replace them with one printer capable of:
    1) 70+ color ppm
    2) consumable materials that would last a minimum of 100,000 pages (cartridges, drums, cleaning kits, fuser kits, transfer kits, ect).
    3) cost per page at 25% black, 10% color coverage lower than 10 cents, and if possible, lower than 5 cents

Initial cost is not really a factor, just a printer capable of what I ask, and that is less than 72 inches wide, although 84 could be acceptable.

Additional concerns:

A) The only paper I use is 75-80 gsm Letter (11 x 8.5 inch).
    B) Hole punching and stapling capablilites would be nice but not required. No folding, bookmaking, ect. capablities are required, just 3 hole punching and stapling.
    C) Copying, faxing, or any of those other functions are not required, just printing.
    D) 1,500 pages is the least I can go on the input bin, although the capability to hold 4,000 pages would be nice.

Please let me know what brands and models could do what I require without too many extra bells and whistles.

One last thing, two printers that, combined, meet my requirements would also be acceptable. Example, two printers at 35+ color ppm, consumable materials that only needed to be replaced after 50,000 pages or more (for 25% black, 10% color coverage) at less than 10 cents per page.

Cost per page is most important, followed by speed.

Thanks!
    Last edited by firefighter4443; 01-26-2010 at 03:39 AM. Reason: I forgot to add that I dont need any fancy features, and use just one type of paper.

What you want does not exist in a single printer. The fastest office laser printer in the world only does 47 ppm, and that's a dell that costs over $1500. It has the cost per page that you won't, but it's too new to accurately say what the life span of the consumables on it is. Otherwise, you might consider the xerox phaser series, which can do 42 ppm (don't know the cost); or the HP CP3525dn, which can do 30 ppm and costs $900.

You might look into a printing service. If there is one close by you might be able to send the job to them on the Internet and they could do it with a printing press at a very reasonable cost. What you are doing is more along that line than using a laser printer. There are also some low cost printing presses out there that might do this job economically and reliably in house at a very reasonable cost.

Al

Default Which printer???

If you do not need color, get an HP 9000 or 9050 LaserJet.
    This printer is about 50 pages per minute, BUT
    pound for pound, it runs and runs.
    I have a 9000 in the field with about 5 million pages on it. It shows no sign of old age. You only have to replace the maintenance kit every 300,000 to 500,000 pages.
    CPC for toner (OEM HP retail) is about one cent per page.

Jim at Servicemax
    Cleveland, Ohio