Thread: HP CLJ 3800 ---50.2 error printing envelopes from Tray 1

Default HP CLJ 3800 ---50.2 error printing envelopes from Tray 1

CLJ 3800 -- 50.2 error when printing envelopes
    We have a CLJ 3800 that has recently started erroring out with a 50.2 error whenever the user tries to print to envelopes in tray 1. The unit works fine when using any tray with standard paper. So far we have replaced the fuser, DC controller and updated the firmware with no change in the symptoms. When a print job is sent for an envelope in tray one the unit will show "processing" for 1-2 minutes prior to erroring out with the 50.2. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

It's a known issue, with different folks having different solutions...

See following thread:
    http://printertechsforum.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=2721

The last post from Vicki says:
    I ran into this problem on the home printer of one of our executives. Happened to find that if you change the print setting from Automatically Select to Manual Print and specify the tray, the envelope prints without the 50.2 fuser error. Very perplexing."
    Can you confirm changing the setting from Auto Select to Manual Print & specifying tray solves the 50.2 error? In that case, I would play around with the driver settings / try a different driver ... maybe change the paper type to "Plain" if it's set to "Envelope", or vice versa...

Changed paper source to Manual feed in Tray 1
    Changed page size to Envelope#10
    Changed paper type to "Plain"

Sent a test page to the printer from the PC but showed no change....says "processing" ..wait about 2 minutes then receives the 50.2 error again.

Firmware has been updated to the latest version from HP's website--- 20080408 (46.040.2). Also latest print drivers have been deleted and reinstalled...still no changes.

We have also replaced the fuser assy with a new one ...no change. DC Controller bd, and the low voltage power supply ....AGAIN, no change.

The printer will pull envelopes through fine though with the printer itself and/or letter type paper for both Tray 1 and Tray 2. Problem only occurs when trying to print over the network and we have moved the printer to a good networking area ...still no changes.

Any other thoughts??

I think you are saying you changed the default printer properties (you went into Control Panel--> Printers) ...

What if instead, you print a sample envelope, you click File--> Print, then click on the printer's Properties before proceeding with the print job, and right then and there change you change the properties to say Plain paper & you select Tray 1 as the source...do you get the 50.2 error at that point also? I believe that is what Vicki was saying fixed her issue ... in other words, every single time she prints an envelope, she changes the settings under Properties...

The problem could be a "driver" issue, where the driver is reporting to the printer the wrong media type ... I would try downloading a different driver, make sure it's HP driver instead of built-in Microsoft driver...try PCL 5, PCL 6, and PostScript drivers to see if it doesn't happen on one of those...

Another suggestion from HP's forum -- worth a try:

Note: This same issue could also be experienced when the printer's energy usage option is configured to save energy and the fuser cools off.

From the display panel go to:

Configure Device > System Setup > Optimum Speed/Energy Save.
    Verify if it is configured to SAVE ENERGY; if so select the FASTER FIRST PAGE option (default option).
    And finally ... I'm not sure there's a fix for it ... !!
    I'm hearing tons of complaints from techs and end users alike, and no solutions :-)

Seems to me like if there is a solution -- it would be in "tricking" the driver into thinking you're printing Plain paper when you're really printing envelopes, so that it doesn't try to adjust the Fuser temp accordingly and trigger the 50.2 ... because it prints fine on Plain letter paper ...
    Last edited by cs_steve; 10-15-2009 at 12:30 AM.

Default Back to square one...

Okay, This printer is getting on our last nerve it has basically been REBUILT besides the ECU board and casing!

We have tried all steps below:

Configure Device > System Setup > Optimum Speed/Energy Save.
    Verify if it is configured to SAVE ENERGY; if so select the FASTER FIRST PAGE option (default option)

1. Tried the (Faster First Page option) in the system setup menu ...(No Change).

2. Tried tricking the driver thinking we are printing Plain paper for Tray 1 even though it is actually envelopes ......(No Change) "50.2 error."

3. Tried different drivers ....PCL 5, PCL6 ..older versions......(No Change).

4. Replaced the Formatter board seeing the issue is occurring when trying to print through a networked connection.......Updated the firmware to latest version afterwards successfully......tested again w/ both USB and CAT 5 connection ..........(No Change).

Thanks for helping with the suggestions CS_Steve!! They are GREATLY appreciated.

Any other suggestions would be welcomed..... as you can tell we've tried everything both from the software-side of view and hardware. Which we deal mostly with hardware.

"I sure hope there IS a fix for it!"

My only other suggestion would be to change the settings to prevent it from going into PowerSave mode...
    or else have the user "wake it up" first (press the Checkmark button to bring the printer to "Ready" status)

don't know how practical either of these are for the situation ...

Installed a replacement fuser cable yesterday. Tried testing the printer again with envelopes.....Still....no change 50.2 error.

Also, turned sleep mode "Off" in the printer control panel menu options.....tested again......No change.

There's got to be a reasonable solution....somewhere here. Any thoughts?