Thread: LJ2430 thinks it is a 2420?

Default LJ2430 thinks it is a 2420?

Hi Everyone,

I have a customer with a 2430 that has come in for this issue. End user replaced Engine Control board and config pages shows model Q5957A. EU flashed latest firmware and it had no effect. EC board was replaced a second time and model shows as a Q5956A.

The initial complaint with this machine was no NIC detected. EU then replaced formatter and same identity crisis exists. My boss has no idea what is up and I have not been working on printers long enough to know. If anyone can provide me with any information or suggestions, it will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all for your time and have a great day!

George D.

On the 2400 series models, the Engine Controller board stores that information ... if they installed a used/refurbished Engine Controller board from a similar-but-different model, the Engine Controller board will actually "rewrite" the personality of the printer ... so you need to be sure when you use refurbished/used boards to install a board pulled from the exact same model of machine... unless you're "upgrading" the machine :-)

So , if you install a Engine Controller board pulled from a 2420 into a 2430, the printer will become a 2420...

If you purchase refurbished/used boards: you need to be sure that your vendor can pull the board directly from the exact model you need. If they're knowledgeable they'll know about this issue and hopefully be willing to comply--it's a pretty important request!

If you install a brand new board , one that has never been in a printer before, then the printer should not change personalities (the new Engine Controller reads the formatter and adopt its personality from that). If you install a new board and the personality does change -- then unfortunately you've probably been sold a refurbished board falsely advertised as new.

So, in your case, you may be able to convert it back by getting an Engine Controller board directly from a 2430DN ... you normally have to let these "sit and think" for a little bit, try printing, sometimes restarting several times, sometimes firmware update :-) Putting a "new formatter" probably won't help in your case because the formatter has probably been overwritten...
    Last edited by cs_steve; 07-16-2009 at 10:57 PM.

Board Changing on the latest LaserJets
    KS28/7/05 –Rev 1.2

The latest range of LaserJets typically have one Formatter which covers all the models in that family. The model number in these cases is backed up by either the DC Controller/ECU Board or a Firmware Dimm, depending on the product. Change only one board at a time, and in each case wait 5 minutes for NVRAM information to be transferred across.

Changing the Formatter and the “backup board” at the same time can result in the printer downgrading to the slowest model in that family. These boards should also NOT be returned to stock once they have been in a printer, since they will no longer be neutralised stock items but have a model assigned to them.

For most of the models below there are two Formatters, a networked version with embedded JetDirect and a standard version without JetDirect. In some cases the Embedded JetDirect can “disappear” if the JDI installed bit is not set. In these cases a PJL upgrade will be required.

LaserJet 2420 & 2430 – can lose Speed, Duplex and Embedded JetDirect
    Never change the Formatter and ECU at the same time, otherwise the printer will adopt the identity of the slowest product (i.e. a LJ2410). Boards from stock are “neutralised” and will take the identity of the printer they are fitted to. Firmware for these products is onboard the Formatter. Part numbers are:

Formatter PCA (networked with embedded JetDirect) Q3955-61003
    Formatter PCA (non-networked base model) Q3953-61003
    ECU (Engine Controller Assy) 220v RM1-1524-040CN

When replacing a board wait 5 minutes after powering on to allow the NVRAM settings to be written.

I just noticed that the ECU part number above is for 220v.