Thread: Clicking noise upon printing

Default Clicking noise upon printing

I have a client with a HP Laserjet P3005, which is clicking most of the time when printing. The clicking is coming from the back right corner. I removed the fuser and checked the gears in that area or a least the ones visible and did not see anything out of the ordinary, but with the back off it definetly sounds like the noise is coming from the area where the fuser joins the gears. Looking from the back it would be on the left. It seems to click the most when the printer is turned off and then turned back on. My customer has 2 printers just alike, so I switched fusers and toner cartridge and it is still clicking and now the one that was OK is now clicking occassionally.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what else I could try or has anyone familiar with this model of HP.

What's the page count?
    There is a known noise problem caused by a worn fuser idler gear RU5-0957-000CN. It normally doesn't show up until an excess of 100,000 pages printed.

When you remove the fuser, look at the 4 gears to the left of where the fuser sits. Look at the lowest, forward gear(20 tooth). Look carefully at the teeth. You are looking for worn teeth on that gear.

That's all that I could come up with

Default Reply

The printer is about 2 years old and in a very abrassive atmosphere, lumber company. The page count is less than 100,000. I did not notice that gear looking worn but I will take a second look at it. Thanks very much for the suggestion.

On this particular fuser, the gear shaft bushings are prone to wear out ... if you look at the gears on the fuser, you will see the largest gear (it has angled-teeth) ... this is the pressure roller drive gear ... follow that gear's metal shaft, and you will see a green bushing supporting the shaft ... this bushing is prone to wearing out, and as it does, the pressure roller shaft begins sitting "crooked", and so the teeth of the gear do not mesh very well ... even if the gear itself is not worn out per say, the green bushing that supports the gear shaft may be worn out... in which case you would need to replace the fuser ...
    Last edited by cs_steve; 05-14-2009 at 02:11 PM.

I believe that he already replaced the fuser, Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by redcow View Post
    I believe that he already replaced the fuser, Steve.
    no, he swapped with another machine possibly with the same worn bushing too.

i still think it's the bushing..........

edit: btw the worn idler gear only cause rumbling noises, not clicking.

bushing part numbers : rc1-3609-000 and rc1-3610, one for right and the other left. can't remember which is which. i normally replace both since they are only a few dollars.
    Last edited by tk55; 05-15-2009 at 03:41 AM.