Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HP 2200 DTN Prints randomly

Default HP 2200 DTN Prints randomly

I have a printer an HP 2200DTN. It is on a network and was working fine. Then it started to act up where the printer would start up when you hit "OK" to print and it sounds like it is going to print but no paper feeds and no paper jams. The rollers on the exit where spinning but no sound comes from the trays.

SO I put all new feed rollers in and it still was doing the same thing. SO I moved it to another location and connected to a computer via a USB cable.

It started printing when I tired to print, and I thought it was all set.

I went back to it about 10 minutes later and it is started doing the same thing. When I try to print it spins up like it wants to print, but no sond comes from the trays. It almost seems like the trays anre not being activated to pull a sheet of paper, even thought the rest of the printer is running like it is going to print.

Any ideas??? I need to get this printing ASAP. Thanks

1.) does it happen when you print from the control panel or only when printing from the pc?

If it only happens when connected to pc, try firmware upgrade, latest drivers (or downgrade if it was working before you changed them), update software programs you're printing from.

2.) If it happens with the control panel, does it do it all the time or only occasionally?

3.) Perform engine test. Same problem? check sensor flag/sensor in p/u asm, check solenoid, tray 2 gear and spring. Verify p/u roller in correctly. Lots of these problems happen after tech changes p/u roller. If its not installed correctly you will have jamming issues.

Hi Prntrfxr. This started happening before I replaced the P/U rollers. It happens randomly. Sometimes it will work other times it won't. it almost seems as if you move the printer the right way it will work. Both from the control panel as well as the PC (have tried on different ones also). It never jams because it doesn't sound like the pickup rollers are even working on the trays. But when the printer happens to work, it works seemlessly. I was able to print out of all threee trays and off the control panel the test page prints on the duplexer.

I am not sure where all those sensors are that you listed.

Have you looked at the event log?

Do what Printrfixr says...engine test.

I am not sure what an Engine test is and how it works? Can someone please explain?

Also where am I getting the logs from to look at.

Thanks

sorry...incorrect assumption on my part.

Engine Test: This test bypasses the Formatter board (main board, brain of the printer) for troubleshooting purposes. It will print only lines down the page, but it will confirm the mechanical functionallity of the printer and the dc controller (controls motors, fans, sensors, etc...). In some printers you have to remove the formatter completely to perform this test as the formatter can still affect output. For this printer, you shouldnt have to.

Location of engine test button: Open the right side rear door (right, when facing front of the printer), where the parallel port is. On the metal gear frame, behind the network card slot directly above the grounding wire on the right side toward the rear of the printer is a little black button. Use something plastic to push it. Hold it for about 2 seconds or until it starts to print.

Event or Status Log: You can print it out, by printing a configuration page. It will be listed on there. To print a configuration page: Press GO and JOB CANCEL simultaneously after printer reaches ready state.

I pushed the test engine button and it printed the page with black lines. I pushed the buttons for the Self test/configuration and it printed.

The stautus log has 10 entries. All have Code 5005 with page numbers ranging from 226690 to 226423.

Does that give you any information on this issue?

I tried to print from my computer and it is printing now.

Any ideas? Thanks

you're going to think this is strange, but I bet you have a bad laser scanner. Sometimes the error lights wont display the correct error. These machines have a weakness in the laser scanner area.

I just picked the printer up to turn it around and the top section (with trays 1 & 2) seperated from the bottom section (tray 3), so I placed the top section on the bottom section correctly and tried to print. Again it started up and sounds like it will print but no paper is picked up. So I ran the engine test and it failed, nothing printed.

Now what should I do?

when you removed tray 3 and then put it back with the power on it will have a communication problem reading the trays. Dont move it around when the power is on. power it off if you're going to separate it from the optional tray.