Thread: LaserJet 4+ does not feed through fuser

Question LaserJet 4+ does not feed through fuser

I have a LaserJet 4+ that won't feed through the fuser. I first checked the exit rollers in the back, they operate smoothly and look ok. I pulled the fuser assembly out and it rolls, although i can see a "divot" spot on it and it has typical wear on the ends. Paper jams at the entry point on the fuser 100% of the time. There is no remnants or debris that I can find, though I havn't disassebled the fuser. I know it's powered, it does get hot. The paper doesnt get the "accordian" jam like I see mentioned a lot, it just sort of rolls up the leading 1/4 to 1/3 of the sheet and the whole page gets printed, just not fused.

Is there a switch/sensor somewhere that activates it when a sheet comes through? Would it be worth the effort to disassemble the fuser and look inside?

Blog Entries

Probably broken teeth on the main gear drive assembly, RG5-0876. This is very common.
    Site administrator www.printertechs.com

Thanks for the direction.. Are there any guides/pics out there to show me how to get at and/or replace the parts?

On closer looking, I think I found it. Facing the front of the chasis, I can see the main gear assembly, just behind and above there's a beige gear, I'm assuming the fuser gear, that's missing teeth.

Yup.. I Pulled the fuser back out and rolled the gear on the assembly, it's the last one that's beige and articulates up/down, it has 1/3 of the teeth broken off. Thanks for the part#.. atleast I know I can bring it back to life for about $40
    Last edited by Dolm; 11-21-2007 at 02:49 PM. Reason: update

I got the main drive assembly replaced and it now feeds into the fuser, comes out the back of it about 1/4 page and stops with a jam, with no wrinkling or folding. the sheet doesnt get as far as the exit rollers.. any ideas?

The jam switch actuator in your fuser is probably jammed in the wrong position.If I remember right you can just reach in from the back and loosen it up.