Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuser Assy installation on LJ4

Default Fuser Assy installation on LJ4

I have a LaserJet 4 that I cannot get the fuser installed. It is binding on the left side and will not go in. (Left side from the back)

It has been about 5 years since I have worked on these and I cannot remember if there is something I am missing.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Set up is a standard LJ4 with a 500 sheet acc. paper tray.

Thank you!

Default LJ4 fuser

I am assuming you have the cover off. You may have a 4+ fuser, that has a small nub on the front left of the fuser. {on right facing you, near the gear}
    It can be used in the LJ4 if you break it off.
    But it cannot be used in a 4+ anymore.

Default 4 Plus

I almost was ready to hammer the fuser into the recepticle a long time ago until I was told about the difference between the two fusers. A 4 plus fuser won't fit in unless you cut the metal frame from the fuser.

If you have the wrong fuser for the printer, I assume it would be a LaserJet 4 and your trying to install a LaserJet 4+ fuser into the LaserJet 4 the two fusers are diffrent physically and eletrically dont force the fuser into the printer if it cant fit, that is one thing you never do, the raitings of the heater is diffrent as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ooojaya View Post
    I almost was ready to hammer the fuser into the recepticle a long time ago until I was told about the difference between the two fusers. A 4 plus fuser won't fit in unless you cut the metal frame from the fuser.
    Dont be a bloody idoit, thats very incompetent words with the hammer but its good that you learned the right way.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelTech View Post
    I am assuming you have the cover off. You may have a 4+ fuser, that has a small nub on the front left of the fuser. {on right facing you, near the gear}
    It can be used in the LJ4 if you break it off.
    But it cannot be used in a 4+ anymore.
    Dont give him those kind of idiotic ideas Michael Tech I thought you knew better than that, that kind of answer I would expect from stupid Paul, I would thought of you to know better than say that kind of advice even if the printer is old its good idea to give it the same respect as any other printer, I recommend to use the right fuser with the right printer look at the part numbers in part surfer and it will tell you that the fusers are diffrent, diffrent physically and eletronically.

I really dont like the frankenstein apporach when it comes to laser printers, Michael your just teaching him the frankenstein way.
    Last edited by woodss; 07-24-2007 at 10:11 PM.

Hey, when you're out in the field on a LJ4 call and logistics put a LJ4+ fuser in the box. You've got an irate customer, guess what...you break off the tab, and you've got a working printer and a happy customer.
    Call closed

It must be nice to live in a perfect world Woodss
    Last edited by redcow; 07-25-2007 at 12:47 AM. Reason: additional thought

we should keep the specs like its in the factory in the ideal way.

Thank you, Redcow, and woodss, you are right, things should be done correctly, but as we all know, it's not the same in the field!
    l am in a depot that has unlimited parts for anything. This was just a tip from my field techs when faced with an emergency, and, a particularly quirky customer. "Impatience will reward you with dissatisfaction" RMSCosmics 1984

In Australia there is a government body called Australian Standard and even with electrical repairs if a repair company company follows the rules the company gets endorsed by the government.

I once serviced a LaserJet 4+ with a LaserJet 4 fuser, and it failed prematurely guys this one of the reasons I say opinions about short cuts in strong language, because it almost always leads to more trouble.

You simply wouldn't be a 4000 / 4050 fuser in a 4100 because it wont fit,
    I would also be very annoyed if some of you do the stupid thing and place a 2100 fuser instead of a 2200 fuser into a laserjet 2200 and then expect it too work it simply wont, and then hot glue the paper guide for the duplexer.

HP made the tabs so the fuser cant get in they have a reason to place those tabs in, we suppose to be techs.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelTech View Post
    Thank you, Redcow, and woodss, you are right, things should be done correctly, but as we all know, it's not the same in the field!
    l am in a depot that has unlimited parts for anything. This was just a tip from my field techs when faced with an emergency, and, a particularly quirky customer. "Impatience will reward you with dissatisfaction" RMSCosmics 1984
    This is a good post, a man with integrity, customers are the ones that give the tech grief I have a friend who's like that, always demanding, reason being things should be done to specs, it keeps the printer to the specs as it was when it left the assembly line, I am very assertive with the customer to him, look do you want the dodgy way or the factory standard way? Almost always they pick factory way and service calls will always half, I believe 65% of service calls are done to correct dodgy repairs.

My standards will simply increase over time, no room for monkey business and hope it will work, I want it to be guaranteed for the long term even in the field, I know its not life or death but sometimes it will save us all time and money.

Using shortcuts on aircrafts is deadly, that gives trouble imagine your in the air taking off and plane engine broke offf due to a damaged engine mount, and then the mount instead they took the mount and engine off as a unit and lowered it down with a forklift then during a flight the mounting of the engine failed due to a crack due to damage while doing the shortcut and the engine broke away and then having the hydraulics being drained this due to a shortcut having the engine and mount out as a unit, this happend in 1979.

And then 6 years later in 1985 a faulty bulkhead which is the rear of the aircraft causing decompression and its tail falling off. Both accidents resulting in hundreds of deaths, all due to a set of missing rivets or cracks, all these could been avoided if the airplane techs took their time and do the repair properly, we printer techs can learn from these experiences and it will make us better techs, if these airplane techs took the time to repair the plane properly those people whom died in those crashes would I believe today will still be alive.
    Last edited by woodss; 07-25-2007 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by woodss View Post
    If you have the wrong fuser for the printer, I assume it would be a LaserJet 4 and your trying to install a LaserJet 4+ fuser into the LaserJet 4 the two fusers are diffrent physically and eletrically dont force the fuser into the printer if it cant fit, that is one thing you never do, the raitings of the heater is diffrent as well.

Dont be a bloody idoit, thats very incompetent words with the hammer but its good that you learned the right way.

Dont give him those kind of idiotic ideas Michael Tech I thought you knew better than that, that kind of answer I would expect from stupid Paul, I would thought of you to know better than say that kind of advice even if the printer is old its good idea to give it the same respect as any other printer, I recommend to use the right fuser with the right printer look at the part numbers in part surfer and it will tell you that the fusers are diffrent, diffrent physically and eletronically.

I really dont like the frankenstein apporach when it comes to laser printers, Michael your just teaching him the frankenstein way.
    Stuart- Next time you mention my name, I'll post the links to ALL the messages about you being banned from other tech sites for giving BAD advice numerous times. I'll also post the links to your youtube videos so we can all have a laugh. What I've forgotten about printer repair you'll never learn!

Paul

Woodss, now you're comparing a LJ4 to an aircraft.

Until you put down the service manual and the bottle you're drinking out of and get out in the field and see how the repairs are actually done, stick with repairing your aircraft