PDA

View Full Version : network printer

peter plys
09-15-2004, 10:40 AM
I Have a HP 5m Laserprinter with jet direct network card..
How do I set up the printer to be a networkprinter, so that I can use it from all the computers in the house.

I dont want to connect the printer to one computer that has to be running before some other computer can print....!!!

any one knows..?

WanKie
09-15-2004, 02:21 PM
Hello Peter,
There a few steps to go through to get you printing.
1: Identify your jetdirect card on the network with an IP adress. (You can set up the IP address, subnet etc. using printer setups from the printers control panel)
2: If your're using PC's running Nt-alike OS's, from each PC, start the "add printer icon" and do a setup for a LOCAL printer, during setup, you will be asked from what port you want to print. You then need to "add a port", wich you'll name as the IP address you just gave the jetdirect in your printer. Continuing, you'll load all required drivers, and off you go!
3: If you're running Win 95, or 98, you need to fix the os to enable the port installation; First, download and run this executable form the HP site (ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/networking/software/hpspm98.exe) on your 95 and 98 machines. This will allow you to setup a "local" printer port through your network, similar to the NT-alike setups. Secondly, you will need to setup your "local printer" but unlike the NT-alike setups, you initially have to install the printer locally on a LPT port. Thirdly, you have to modify the actual printer port in use from the local LPT port to the TCP port as in 2. (Printer properties->details->add port, using the IP adress as set in "1", and follow the instructions...)

Good luck!!
WanKie