PDA

View Full Version : HP8000 & HP5000 jetdirect card not responding

silverucci
09-10-2004, 05:46 PM
My Network Admin. has jetdirect cards in both of these printers, and they are not working. When I asked him to get 2 new jetdirect cards , he stated that he thinks the problem is in the printers' controller.
The printers are working directly connected to pc .
Is this feasible? And is there a way to detect that the problem is in the controller and not the jetdirect cards.
Thanks for any help.
LM

Placebo
09-10-2004, 06:23 PM
You could try the jet direct card in another printer.

Has the card ever worked in that printer? Is the card configured correctly? Is it set for manual IP entry or BOOTP? Is it on the correct V-LAN if you use them? Just a few things to consider.

silverucci
09-10-2004, 11:25 PM
The jet direct card did work at one time... the network admin tried to get it to work...but now is just telling me its the printer's controller. I would like to know if there is a way of checking the printers controller first... I can't get the netw admin to cooperate concerning the jet direct card

ptjeff1
09-12-2004, 11:43 AM
If there is a problem in the printer you will usually get an error code. Do you get an error code or error message? Print a configuration page and read off the IP and subnet mask to make sure they match your network. Try pinging the IP's. Change the IP and subnet mask if they don't fall within range and create a new TCP IP port pointing to that IP. Also remember that each JetDirect card has a unique MAC hardware address and you'll need to create a new port for each card.

In my experience these situations are usually configuration related, especially since it isn't very likely that two printers would have bad formatter boards. In most cases if the formatter was bad you couldn't print with a parrallel cable.