PDA

View Full Version : HP8550 Stalling on Booting

Nick London
12-07-2005, 09:52 AM
Hi,

I have a customer who has just called up with this problem. They said they got an error message (didn't write it down!) but it was a cycle power error. Once the printer was restarted the control panel shows "booting" and nothing else happens.

I'm thinking it could be memory or the formatter, any ideas from you guys would be great????

Thanks

Manuals
12-07-2005, 10:10 AM
Nick, this is the 3rd message on this subject I've read today posted by you on 3 different boards. Why is it you have so many questions and never offer any help to anybody else?

Nick London
12-07-2005, 10:17 AM
I try and have a look at as many messages as i can and if i feel i can help i would leave a message. The problem is I'm the only engineer that works for our company, we're only small. So you can imagine i'm running round like a headless chicken trying to fix printers whilst getting as much help as i can from the boards. All the help i do get is super and usually very helpful.

I find that if i post my messages on 3 different boards i'm more likely to get a reply from somebody. Also with regards to trying to help others, i'm still learning the trade myself only been in the business for 2 years so some things are beyond me.

Frogs31
12-12-2005, 07:51 AM
I had this issue with my HP 8550, I found 3 sets of mis-matched ram inside. Once I took out 2 of the sets, leaving 1 set of matched ram inside it took care of the booting problem.

paperdragonz
12-13-2005, 12:55 PM
First thing I would suggest is call the customer back and have them turn the printer off. Then, have them write down the exact error message that occurs when they turn the printer back on.

No sense working any further until you've got the initial details straight.

Ubermike
12-14-2005, 05:17 PM
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=25507&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=25507&objectID=bpl07742

That's a link to all errors on the 8550's. Power up problems could be carousel, DIMM's, Scanner, Laser, Fuser, EIO devices etc etc, there are many causes.

If you go onsite (which you shouldn't until you talk to the customer again & get the exact error code) you should test the printer with a minimum configuration. Remove all DIMM's, Jet Direct card & any other EIO devices. If the error message goes away its one of those devices, so add them back one by one starting with the DIMM's then Jet Direct etc.

If you are an Authorized Service Provider you should have access to HP's online work instructions which have countless pages on top issues including power up errors. I'm sure you could get a login from reseller support if you don't have one. Their work instructions site is a goldmine of top issues and is a great asset.