PDA

View Full Version : 4 HP LJ4200s all acting up

bobbydiaz
11-23-2005, 10:23 AM
We have 3 HP LJ4200s out in different departments on the ground floor here at my work. They all started printing kind of speckled, its like just what is supposed to print is speckled only. The papers come out clean but the lines are kind of chopped. I have tried replacing the dc controller, fuser, toner, paper and rollers. Nothing has helped it. we put the 4th 4200 down there and now its doing the samething as the others. I work in a hospital and these printers have worked great for the last year or 2. This is something that just happened recently. Any help is appreciated.

ptjeff1
11-24-2005, 07:05 AM
Did you replace the transfer roller? If so was it an aftermarket transfer roller? Some aftermarket transfer rollers can cause strange image defects. Also are the toners new or refilled?

JJprinter
12-06-2005, 12:24 PM
Are all these printers on a network or stand alone and still print the same???

If they are not networked then I would agree check to see if you have OEM cartridges or recycled it could be the supplies from a recycler and the toner is not correct for this cartidge or a part they replaced in these cartridges has been changed since you first ordered from this recycler and the company does not realize it is causing you poor print.
If you are networked this could also be a server problem.
But I am leaning more to the cartridges.

bobbydiaz
12-14-2005, 09:46 AM
Did you replace the transfer roller? If so was it an aftermarket transfer roller? Some aftermarket transfer rollers can cause strange image defects. Also are the toners new or refilled?

We did full maintenance kits on these printers.

Are all these printers on a network or stand alone and still print the same???

They were all networked printers, but stand alone or networked they all do the same thing.

I would agree check to see if you have OEM cartridges or recycled it could be the supplies from a recycler and the toner is not correct

We replaced the toners with genuine toners from HP because i thought maybe that was a problem. We also tried replacing the dc controller board and the power supply, The only other thing i can think of is the laser. But those are pretty expansive. I think my employer learned their lesson about not getting the extendid warranty.

woodss
12-15-2005, 07:58 AM
I believe its not the any of the parts that everyone else has mentioned, from these posts I have read.

I think its either the formatter or the laser assembly.

Does these printers come from the same batch?

Is the serial numbers simular if it is it seems they came from the same day of manufacture, that could explain it.

But I a leaning onto the formatter or the laser scanner unit.

Or if you want too you can clean the mirrors of the laser scanner unit that all it could be, due that its a hospital, that might explain it.

Stuart.

ptjeff1
12-17-2005, 05:09 PM
You mentioned you had maintenance kits installed? Were the parts genuine HP parts? The reason I ask is many parts resellers use aftermarket transfer rollers which can cause the problems you are describing. Also were the fusers refurbished? An improperly rebuilt fuser might have grounding issues and static buildup on the fixing film which causes the toner to "scatter" before it's fused the the paper.

You might want to scan a sample of the defect and upload it with the Attach Files feature in the forum. This will give us a better idea of what the defect looks like.