PDA

View Full Version : 1100 Fuser Flim Installation

woodss
11-06-2005, 02:10 PM
I would like to know, what kind of steps and tips you can give me to install a instant on fuser flim in general.

What are the dos and donts?

I have never done this before nor had the opportunity too.

Reason being a technician isnt experienced in some printer models is that they never have the opportunity he or she hasn't had the opportunity to work on them yet.

My Experiences

I am still a hobbyist, whom has been doing this kind of work at home during the evenings from school as a hobby since I was 17 / 18, now this may sound unusuall to some, particularly doctors, however the best technicians are people who had this as a hobby first, all started to simply to prevent old printers to be in landfill, for the first 18 months from early 2001 to late 2002 I was working mainly on series II and III printers mainly because at the time thats all I had, and yes I still work on these,Parts for these are discontinued years ago by OEM, however many aftermarket manufacturers still have these available.

I work on printers that usually now that most printer service technicians don't bother repairing, if a person wants to learn about how to repair printers, The laserjet II, III and 4/5 series are about the best to learn from, these a older machines however these are machines that work on and on, there is plenty of series II, III and 4/5 printers that work, these are good for people and charities and non profit organizations, the college that I go too still have 4/5 series LaserJets still working in the staff offices,HP has discontinued the OEM parts for the 4/5 in Australia, I buy aftermarket for these printers now, I would prefer OEM always do but sometimes you have to use aftermarket when OEM isnt available

However these are disappering slowly, however we all know that its the fuser and output rollers that mainly fail on these machines, I am doing the people and the environment a favor, when usually when these machines fail they end up at a workshop junk heap or ends up at the local city dump "TIP" if I spend time at the city dump I might find some of these printers and take them home, service them and get them going again, but the printers of these that I repair mainly have paper jam, fuser and gear train failures.

I heard on TV a week ago that to get a good honest car service person is like winning the lottery, well we all know as technicians that there are bad printer service technicians out there, unhonest and taking advantage of people who simply doesn't know, and this give us good guys a bad name.

I will post more at a later date.

Brian
11-08-2005, 04:35 AM
Hi,
If you replace only the fixing film in a fuser you must make sure that the surface is smooth and clean.
If a film has become torn and dirt and toner has caked on the heater it is good advise to replase the whole heating assembly or the whole fuser.
The other advise about replacing the film is lubrication, you'll need a good heat resistant lubricant for this.
I have replaced a good few films in the past but nowadays our supplier has good quality refurbished fuser units at a reasonable price so it's hardly worth replacing the film myself anymore.

woodss
11-08-2005, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the infomation Brian, apperciate it, when I get the replacement flim which I have ordered, I will install the new flim, however the old fuser film inst torn its just having its coating peeling off.

Also when you sell printers its best to refurbish the fuser anyways, to prevent print quailty problems.

I am into quality you know, and giving the user a long term soultion not a short term soultion of a laser printer.

Also I know you can network these with a external JetDirect box too.

How do I get the fuser out?

Stuart. :)