PDA

View Full Version : HP Laserjet 4000 Problems

Mike F
10-19-2005, 12:52 PM
I've got multiple problems with our Laserjet 4000:

1) Display says Tray 2 is open when it isn't. Sometimes you can reposition the tray and it will fix the problem, other times no.

2) When you send a job to the printer, the you get the message " Load tray 1 Plain Paper," when I have the default as Tray 2. (Tray 1 is the manual feed tray.) When you push the "Go" button, you get the message "Use Plain Exec Instead?" When you push the "Go" button again, the paper loads from Tray 2, but the printer is looking for Exec size, and gets letter, so the message "Unexpected paper size detected" displays. You then have to reset the printer.

3) Sometimes, after (2) occurs, the printer will get caught in a loop and continue to print out the job over and over again, still giving the same messages, unless you cancel the job.

For (1), I have tried to find where something is loose in the switch detecting the paper tray, but no luck yet.

For (2) and (3), I have tried cleaning the contacts on the paper size switch, I have tried wedging the legal size lever in the open position, and have tried every configuration possible in the paper handling menu on the printer as well as in the Advanced Options on the computer to force it to print to Tray 2 first, but to no avail. What's up? I hope someone out there can help me.

Brian
10-21-2005, 09:20 AM
I would replace the paper size detection PCB

redcow
10-29-2005, 02:39 AM
It's being forced to print from tray 1 because it doesn't see tray 2.
If you have another 4000 try changing the tray.

woodss
10-30-2005, 01:45 PM
its best to check the easy things first, it could be simple as a stuck sensor on a PCB or a stuck arm on the tray etc.

I always check the easy stuff before even I open up the machine.

and yes of course it can be a bad PCB, however in my opinion its very rare.

Stuart. :)