PDA

View Full Version : accessing network scanner

jabman
09-23-2005, 08:15 PM
I have a home network with a windows 98se machine and a windows xp computer. Attached to the windows 98 by usb is a HP PSC 2175 multi-function printer scanner copier. All functions work on the win98.
My network detects the printer from the winxp and I can print to it fine. I've installed the HP Photo & Imaging software on the xp computer. I can't, however, install the scan functions, or access those functions, from my xp machine. When I attempt to scan from a program which can access a scanner, no scanners show up in the setup dialogs. HP has been no help on this; I'm past the warranty period. So, my question is: Is it possible to access the scan function over the network on a multi-function device? If so, how would I go about it? Thanks. Jack

rileymeboy
11-15-2005, 07:59 PM
Hello,
The printer manufacturers and wireless printer server manufacturers that I have dealt with agree that when connecting a multi-function printer to a wireless printer server through a router causes you to lose scanning features used with your computer. Buried in some wireless server printer manuals, you may even find a statement like: " the only feature that is supported with this wireless printer server for multifunction printers is printing. " Bi-directional support may also be limited. For multifunction printers that you wish to use with wireless communications, I recommend MFPs with built-in wireless. Still, for MFPs, direct connect is best if you don't want to lose features. If anyone knows a good MFP-wireless printer server combo that maintains scanning features, please share. Thanks!