PDA

View Full Version : HP 1200 Laserjet

Nedryerson
10-23-2012, 11:23 AM
A coin went inside the machine.
I stripped it down reassembled but got a blinking orange light. I shorted out the two paper clips which detect the cartridge and the green light comes on.
Remove short - Inserting a cartridge - back to blinking orange light.

The cartridge has infinity ohms across the contacts on the left hand side could this be the problem ?

Big Al
10-23-2012, 02:13 PM
The toner powder has a little magnetic iron oxide in it to help keep the toner evenly distributed inside the cartridge during printing and to conduct a little current so the printer knows when the cartridge is empty. Years ago I had a 1200 "J" printer, I don't think it could detect an empty cartridge. The only way to be sure would be to try another cartridge but the most likely thing is that the coin shorted
something out. If you have a good stock of new toner you could get a replacement printer and save this one for parts. If not, and you do a lot of printing I would suggest you get a 4000. The parts for these are still available, the refilled toner cartridges are inexpensive, the cost per page is much less than a 1200, and envelope feeders and duplexer accessories are available. You should be able to get one for ~$100 and up delivered. My two cents for today!

Al