PDA

View Full Version : Inkjet vs Laser

dekard
06-04-2005, 07:03 AM
I'm somewhat surprised at the continued popularity of inkjet printers. If you stop and think about the cost per page and the speed\quality of print there's very few advantages for inkjets.

I suppose these are their advantages: Small size, sometimes quiet output and very low purchase price. Lol, also excellent color printing *depending on the model*.

But to me, those are outweighed greatly by the cost of consumables and the typically lousy text quality compared to a laser. Also the print speed tends to be lower then even a low end laser.

I've retired my HP inkjet and am mainly using my Samsung ml-1740 to print most everything. Only if I need a color printer does the HP get any use at all.

mattchall
06-22-2005, 08:31 AM
Lasers are higher quality and lower cost per page, but on the shelf or flyer, ink jets appear to be cheaper due to the low purchase price. I bought a new Lexmark multi-function unit last Xmas for $100(CND), after rebate, and it came with a Palm Zire. I wanted a scanner/ copier too, so the price was right. They make their money on the ink, but so far I haven't had to buy any. The print quality isn't too bad, but I would't use anything but a laser for an office.