PDA

View Full Version : HP4M Paper Jam Problem near PickUp

Jerome
07-20-2012, 10:29 AM
Am getting paper jams near the pickup. The pages are not yet printed - so it's blank pages that are jamming. I replaced the pickup roller (that funny shaped "tractor tread" piece that slides onto the silver shaft and locks into place).

Since that part is ruled out, what do you think may be causing this situation?

Jerry

Big Al
07-20-2012, 11:24 AM
We need a little more info: is this tray one or tray two? The LJ4 did not have a tray two paper width adjustment. If the length is not set correctly then you will get jams. Does it always jam or does it work sometimes? Any change in the kind of paper you are using? How far does the paper move?

Al

Jerome
07-20-2012, 01:46 PM
Big Al,

To answer your questions:

The jam occurs when using the lower cassette, not the manual feed, fold-down tray. There is not a length adjustment in the cassette. It is the letter size cassette. There is a legal size cassette, but I don't have one.

The paper type is set a "letter size" (in WORD) so don't think it's a matter of wrong length setting.

It will run a couple of pages OK, then jam. If I remove the jam, it will run a few more pages, then jam. On occasion I can get as many as 20 or so good sheets through before it jams.

Same paper we've been using for years. We did change from 92 to 96 brightness, but paper wt. is always 20#.

As to "how far does the paper move"? In order to clear the paper, I have to remove the toner cartridge and the paper is right below the cartridge, as if it is coming up from the lower cassette near the long black roller that you can see with the cartridge out.

Hope this helps. If not, I can upload a photo of the next jam.

Thanks for your reply and will look for your reply.

Jerry

Big Al
We need a little more info: is this tray one or tray two? The LJ4 did not have a tray two paper width adjustment. If the length is not set correctly then you will get jams. Does it always jam or does it work sometimes? Any change in the kind of paper you are using? How far does the paper move?

Big Al
07-20-2012, 02:44 PM
OK, thanks, now we have a better idea. Carefully remove the first page that jammed and look closely at the leading edge of the paper, especially in the corners. You may have a shred of paper hiding in a corner of the paper path that catches the sheet as it moves by and throws it out of the normal path. Have you tried another toner cartridge? Unlikely but possible. Look closely at everything for something not quite right. If the paper is not damaged then you may have a sensor problem. All the '4's I worked on we never had a sensor problem but they do happen. Have you downloaded a handbook from the Internet? Do not pay for the down load, there are plenty of free ones. You can store it on the hard drive or put it on a CD until you get the printer going. Does it give an error code? Have a great weekend!

Al

Jerome
07-20-2012, 03:16 PM
Thanks Al,

I'll look for a hidden piece of paper. I don't get an error message.

I have a CD with the HP data on it; It's cumbersome to use, but will have a look through it.

I greatly appreciate your suggestions. Thanks for taking time to reply.

Enjoy your weekend also...!

Jerry