PDA

View Full Version : Hp Laserjet 4200n wont pickup paper - video included, any tips?

alochet
07-01-2012, 09:13 PM
Hellow Guys

I have the hp laserjet 4200, and for tray 1 it does not pickup the paper.

I thought maybe the roller needs a replacement, or is it something else

If you can take a look at this video

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=15oezbl&s=6

It makes griding noises when it tries to pickup the paper, I manually spin the roller and it takes it in and prints it fine

I dont know if its the roller or something else,

Thanks for any help.

cs_steve
07-02-2012, 04:25 PM
That's not a roller problem since the roller won't even turn without prodding from you.

The easiest fix would be to replace the Tray 1 pickup assembly; that covers all your bases and keeps you from having to troubleshoot further. That is something we sell at PrinterTechs if you need (866-352-7108)

As far as what could be causing the failure If you're in a trouble-shooting mood, a couple possible causes.

The separation pad under the roller could be not seated properly; if it is out of place and sitting too high it puts too much pressure on the pickup roller and won't allow it to turn.

If it's not the pad sitting too high, then you are having a problem with the activation side of the Tray 1 paper pickup assembly. There is a solenoid that fires and allows the gear to turn, causing the roller shaft to rotate. Something is wrong with either that solenoid or that gear. The gear can get corroded, worn teeth, or knocked out of place. The solenoid can simply stop functioning. To inspect you will want to be fairly technical, you will need to disassemble the printer panels (take off the top cover, side cover, front cover & MP tray, and a few smaller panels) so that you can view the activating part of the paper pickup assembly. Basically inspect the gearing, look for the drive gear on that roller shaft to be either out of place, worn, or possibly covered in gunk. If that's not the case it's most likely the solenoid.

Like I said though, the easiest thing would probably be to replace that paper pickup assembly as you will basically already have the machine torn down to that point when you inspect the gear and solenoid. That would cover all your bases and give you a fresh separation pad, fresh pickup roller, refurbished solenoid, and cleaned gears.

alochet
07-05-2012, 11:15 PM
That's not a roller problem since the roller won't even turn without prodding from you.

The easiest fix would be to replace the Tray 1 pickup assembly; that covers all your bases and keeps you from having to troubleshoot further. That is something we sell at PrinterTechs if you need (866-352-7108)

As far as what could be causing the failure If you're in a trouble-shooting mood, a couple possible causes.

The separation pad under the roller could be not seated properly; if it is out of place and sitting too high it puts too much pressure on the pickup roller and won't allow it to turn.

If it's not the pad sitting too high, then you are having a problem with the activation side of the Tray 1 paper pickup assembly. There is a solenoid that fires and allows the gear to turn, causing the roller shaft to rotate. Something is wrong with either that solenoid or that gear. The gear can get corroded, worn teeth, or knocked out of place. The solenoid can simply stop functioning. To inspect you will want to be fairly technical, you will need to disassemble the printer panels (take off the top cover, side cover, front cover & MP tray, and a few smaller panels) so that you can view the activating part of the paper pickup assembly. Basically inspect the gearing, look for the drive gear on that roller shaft to be either out of place, worn, or possibly covered in gunk. If that's not the case it's most likely the solenoid.

Like I said though, the easiest thing would probably be to replace that paper pickup assembly as you will basically already have the machine torn down to that point when you inspect the gear and solenoid. That would cover all your bases and give you a fresh separation pad, fresh pickup roller, refurbished solenoid, and cleaned gears.

Thanks for all the info, I appreciate it.

I havnt had time to disassemble the unit and checkout the gears yet, but will keep you posted.

Thanks