PDA

View Full Version : Hewlett Packard LaserJet 4M - Paper Exit Problem

Jerome
06-09-2012, 12:29 PM
One sheet in about 10 doesn't quite exit fully, causing the next page to lift it and create a mess of printed pages. I have to monitor every printed page as they come out of the printer. Is there an adjustment I can make so that the pages "pop out" a little farther to avoid hanging up like this?

Will appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Jerry

Big Al
06-11-2012, 10:53 AM
Open the rear door. There is a shaft with four rubber wheels on it. When these wheels get hard like an old pencil eraser the paper will no longer feed reliably. It is easy to replace. Download the service manual. The part # for the shaft is: RF5-1077-030.

Al

cs_steve
06-11-2012, 05:06 PM
Here is a picture and instructions:
http://www.printertechs.com/tech/assemblies/ex/1ex-output.php

ridered74
06-11-2012, 06:19 PM
Those instructions are perfect.

Jerome
06-12-2012, 04:06 PM
Thanks - but the rubber wheels are not hard - they're in good shape. (I had replaced the entire exit assembly about 1.5 years ago). So the problem must be elsewhere.

ridered74
06-13-2012, 02:49 AM
Thanks - but the rubber wheels are not hard - they're in good shape. (I had replaced the entire exit assembly about 1.5 years ago). So the problem must be elsewhere.

You can't always tell by feeling the rubber whether it's good or not. I've seen many that looked brand new but still jammed like that. From the way you describe the jam, it pretty much has to be the output assembly causing it.

Big Al
06-13-2012, 07:35 AM
There may be a communication issue here. If the paper stops between the lower roller, which you replaced, and the upper roller then the lower roller is failing. If the paper stops halfway out into the stacker area then the upper roller is bad. They do not not fail as often because that roller does not work very hard. The clue that the upper roller is failing is there will be a curled area across the top of the page. The lower roller is still trying to push the paper up but the upper roller is slipping and this causes a curled area about an inch wide across the top of the page.

Al

Jerome
06-13-2012, 04:44 PM
Big Al and Ridered74....

Thanks for the suggestions. As a matter of fact, there is a slight curled area at the top of many of the pages. Not a dramatic curl, but definitely noticeable. Since only about one in ten pages fails to clear the exit opening, that may explain why the curl isn't on all pages and why it is not a substantial curl.

I appreciate everyone's input.

My Best to all who answered my post...!

Jerry