PDA

View Full Version : LaserJet 4200 Tray 1 Does Not Feed or Sense Paper

JeanneJo
05-04-2012, 11:23 AM
Not sure what I need to look at on this problem - it looks like Tray 1 is "dead" as it doesn't seem to want to feed paper or even sense that there's paper in that tray. Not sure what I need to look at to resolve this problem. I have a "spare parts" printer that I can use in the event there's a part that needs to be replaced, but I'm not certain where to start.

Direction will be greatly appreciated.

JeanneJo.

cs_steve
05-04-2012, 01:11 PM
There is a little black plastic flag on the left side of the tray, it hangs down and touches the paper. This flag is located underneath a white plastic shield that is curved and about 3 1/2 inches long. You can try toggling that black plastic flag with your finger, make sure it moves up and down freely. Make sure the white plastic shield above it is clipped in place properly (clips on the metal shaft). Sometimes the flag and/or the shield gets stuck, knocked out of place, or broken.

Also, make sure the paper is pushed all the way in, deep enough to toggle that flag.

ridered74
05-06-2012, 06:44 PM
If everything mentioned above looks like it is in place, you need to do a paper path test from tray 1. I believe it is found in the Diagnostics Menu from the main screen, but if you can't find it just print a menu map from the Information Menu to see where the paper path is hidden. If you set the Source to Tray 1 and it say load paper even if paper is loaded, the next step would be to take the top cover and left side cover off and check the sensor plug on the side of manual feed assembly to make sure it is plugged in.