PDA

View Full Version : M4345MFP ADF doesn't work when Scanning to Email

John Jenkins
04-17-2012, 09:35 AM
This unit had the proverbial "Scanner Initializing" error so I cleaned the optics (all 5 mirrors, lens and CCD lens). The unit will pull docs from ADF when copying but will not pull them when scan to email is selected. Any ideas? Thanks.

John Jenkins
04-17-2012, 10:44 AM
This unit had the proverbial "Scanner Initializing" error so I cleaned the optics (all 5 mirrors, lens and CCD lens). The unit will pull docs from ADF when copying but will not pull them when scan to email is selected. Any ideas? Thanks.

Additionally when I went back to the unit I found that it would not email even from the glass. When I attempt to cancel a requested email send job I found that after about 3-5 minutes the unit would go into "Scanner Initializing". Still have no problems using the adf to make copies from....unless of course it is showing "Scanner Initializing". Is there an adjustment on the CCD for sensitivity?

Poke
04-17-2012, 04:00 PM
Did you clean the rails the scanner moves on? Clean well with alcohol on cloth then apply a few drops of light oil with your finger.

cs_steve
04-19-2012, 11:22 AM
May be a formatter failure -- you could try reinstalling the firmware. Print an error log and see if you see any "49" errors in the log. If you have another of the exact same model around (M4345) you could swap formatters to see if the problem resolves itself.

Technically it seems more like a logic problem (which would be formatter related) rather than a physical hardware failure, because it pulls fine for copying and only refuses to pull when you request an email scan.

John Jenkins
04-26-2012, 09:36 AM
May be a formatter failure -- you could try reinstalling the firmware. Print an error log and see if you see any "49" errors in the log. If you have another of the exact same model around (M4345) you could swap formatters to see if the problem resolves itself.

Technically it seems more like a logic problem (which would be formatter related) rather than a physical hardware failure, because it pulls fine for copying and only refuses to pull when you request an email scan.

Changed formatter assembly, ribbon cable that runs from lamp assembly to DF control board. Changed DF control board. Made sure all connections were secure and performed a Cold Reset. Disabled email feature and unit works fine. Any additional thoughts? Thanks.

cs_steve
04-27-2012, 12:52 PM
Since the error is that the scanner is not initializing, I would replace the scanner assembly next.

ridered74
04-27-2012, 03:49 PM
I believe it uses a separate scanner when you are pulling from the ADF, so I'd agree with cssteve.

I had one two years ago that would have light copies on the 2nd and subsequent copies from the flatbed (one copy at a time would look fine), but you could run as many in a row as you wanted from the ADF and it would always look fine. Replacing the scanner fixed it.

John Jenkins
04-28-2012, 04:23 AM
I believe it uses a separate scanner when you are pulling from the ADF, so I'd agree with cssteve.

I had one two years ago that would have light copies on the 2nd and subsequent copies from the flatbed (one copy at a time would look fine), but you could run as many in a row as you wanted from the ADF and it would always look fine. Replacing the scanner fixed it.

DO you have a part # for the scanner? Thanks.

redcow
04-29-2012, 12:44 AM
Try IR4041K081NI