PDA

View Full Version : HP 4240 Manual Feed Tray problem

mmasuda
04-04-2012, 07:31 PM
I just bought the maintenance kit for my HPLJ-4240 to try and fix a manual tray feed error. I replaced the pickup rollers and transfer roller that comes in the kit. However, anything I place into the manual feed tray does not get pulled into the printer far enough to be printed on. The main roller that pushes the paper in slips each time it rotates. It's like there isn't enough pressure from below. I can see a small plastic plate with springs that is suppose to lift the paper up to make contact with the roller. Is that piece replaceable?

The printer works perfectly fine from the paper tray. Just the manual feed tray won't feed paper into the printer. We print onto envelopes and invitations so we need to use the manual feed tray a lot! Also, the 4240 manual feed tray is flatter and feeds thicker stock into the printer better. So, I need to keep this printer running.

Help! Any suggestions?

Big Al
04-05-2012, 08:08 AM
Did this problem occur before you put in the maintenance kit? If not, try putting the old tray one feed roller back in. Some maintenance kits have brand "X" rollers that often cause problems. Give us some more details.

Al

ridered74
04-05-2012, 06:02 PM
Is it jamming only when you put a single page in at a time or does it still slip even if you have 5-10 at a time loaded?

The piece you are talking about doesn't wear out, so I doubt that is your issue. Does plain paper feed thru or does it jam also?

mmasuda
04-09-2012, 05:06 PM
The unit doesn't really jam. The paper isn't pushed in far enough for the internal mechanism (for lack of a better term) to pull the paper the rest of the way to print. It does this with a single sheet of paper or a stack of paper. The manual feed is used mostly for card stock for printing invitations. Same situation ... one card or many cards.

I bought the maintenance kit to hopefully fix the feed problem.

However, printing from the paper tray works fine. So, it really looks like the paper isn't pushed in far enough.