PDA

View Full Version : Perform Printer Maintenance

Kevin Pine
01-10-2012, 12:08 PM
I bought a used HP laser jet printer 4050 TN. I also bought a new toner because it was making dark smudges and light double printing (what appeared at top of page repeated very lightly again around the middle). Now print outs are fine with the new toner.

However, I am still getting the message “Perform Printer Maintenance”. Not sure why. What I can say is the printer is a little noisy when printing anything out. Prior post mentioned a fuser issue with the dark smudges, but they are now gone with the new toner. Any direction/suggestions appreciated!

cs_steve
01-11-2012, 05:06 PM
That "Perform Printer maintenance" is simply a reminder message -- it doesn't mean anything is necessarily wrong at the moment, but it does mean that the printer has printed enough pages to reach its maintenance interval. There is a maintenance kit with fuser, pads, and rollers that gets replaced every 150,000 pages - 200,000 pages.

If you're into preventative maintenance, you could go ahead and install a maintenance kit and clear the message (here's instructions: http://www.printertechs.com/tech/mkinst/mk-4000-1.php )

Otherwise you can just keep printing until problems actually arise, then install the maintenance kit. Eventually you will see paper jams and/or print defects like repeating images / smudges, and that would mean it's time to order a replacement kit.

samule
01-15-2012, 11:46 AM
I agree with steve, when you know you have just bought the printer toner, you don't need to any maintenance. Just make sure it is clean and the print is fine.

redcow
01-16-2012, 12:23 PM
My 2 cents worth.
If you are about to buy a used printer, print out the configuration page.
Check the mileage on the printer. Check when the last maintenance was
done. That number is not gospel, because it can be doctored. Chances are
with the toner cartridge needing replacement so do the rollers. Spend the
money and install a maintenance kit. Your printer will thank you for doing it.