PDA

View Full Version : Hp 2300, bad nic!

Big Al
01-04-2012, 08:46 AM
In 1993 we bought a bunch (~250+) of HP 2300dn printers. They have been real troopers. A little slow compared to the newer printers but much more reliable. Yesterday I put one on my bench for routine servicing. The NIC was bad. These have the # 615 NICs which seem to have a lot of issues. When I went to the parts cage to get a spare I noticed that some Eye-Dee-Ten-Tee (ID10T) had put eight NICs in the bad box with no notes. Took these to my bench to test them. Four were fine, two could not talk to the formatter. I powered down the printer and put in the next one and the printer would not power back up. I checked the power cord and it was hot. Pulled the NIC, still would not power up. I thought the printer's power supply had died. Next day I tried that NIC again (my senior moment for the day) and that NIC killed a second printer. My turn to be the ID10T for the day! I have never seen another NIC do this and may never see another but thought I would pass this on. The good news is that we now have two parts machines! Comments?

Al