PDA

View Full Version : Ricoh MP C6000 Playing Mind Games

JadenAlekis
09-28-2011, 01:25 PM
Alright, I'm going to try and be as detailed as possible with this, as I've spent a number of days working on it now with absolutely no success.

I work in a small office with about 20 computers that all use the same printer ( the C6000 in question.) Currently, this printer is shared from a windows server 2003 machine acting as our domain server. Anyone wanting to use the printer can do so by adding it from that share. It works fine.

However, we are trying to move all our shared printers OFF the domain server, and onto their own dedicated print server. This is where the issues start. Every other printer we've added to this new server has worked flawlessly. The C6000 however has done nothing but play mind games with us. Here's some of the scenarios we've run into:

(Quick note, all client computers are Windows XP.)

Scenario 1) The printer is added to the server with the correct driver, the client then adds the printer by using the "Find in Directory" method. The computer successfully adds the printer, but cannot print to it, or use any advanced features. This happens regardless of what print driver is installed for the printer, on the print server.

Scenario 2)The printer is installed onto the server as before. On the client side however, installation is much different. Instead of installing the printer from over the network, we select "Install local printer." Then we choose to add a new port (local port.) Then for the name of this port we use the location of the printer on the network. (\\LegacyServer\Ricoh MP C6000) We then get to choose what drivers to use for this printer. This has seperate results depending on the drivers chosen.

If we choose to use the drivers specifically for this printer, we get the same results as before, no print what-so-ever. However, if we use Ricoh's "Universal Print Driver" we can successfully get the printer to print, but only in B/W, and no advanced features are enabled.

Now, this is where I get to the part about the printer playing mind games. To actually enable those advanced features, I know a code needs to be entered in the printer's advanced tab, under printer properties. But when I actually goto the printer's properties window, the advanced properties tab is there....until I mouse over it. Then the tab disappears!

Also, it should be noted that this only happens when using the "Universal Print Driver." When using the printer specific driver, not only does it not print, but that tab isn't even there.

I've googled all I can, but I can't find any situations remotely similar to this. If you've read through all of this, thank you. I'm at my wit's end and any assistance would be greatly appreciated.