PDA

View Full Version : HP Laserjet 4MP wierd problem please help.http://printertechsforum.com/forum/images/s

TerraAustralis
06-17-2011, 10:29 PM
My old LaserJet 4MP is printing beautifully. I have just fixed a series of malfunctions with removal of paper debris and a cold reset.

But one problem remains. After printing a document the printer no longer returns to a READY state. Instead a document name with a number prefix remains in the window. I have to do another reset to clear the document description out of the buffer. Then the printer re-starts, runs its SELF TEST and reverts to READY. While the document description remains I cannot go offline but I can continue printing other documents.

According to my manual, this is not an error number, it appears to be a counter number as it increases with each print I make. it is up to 89 now.

When offline I can run all print tests and come up with perfect results.

I would have thought a cold reset would fix this problem by returning the software to factory settings. Apparently not. Window simply shows:

89 Tony ANZ Lodg

I have been using the printer so the last print was:

106 Tony GreeceL

So I get a counter number, My name and a document description as far as 16 characters will allow.

Sometimes, as in the last document a second sheet prints displaying;

ERROR: timeout
OFFENDING COMMAND: timeout

STACK:

Previously this error was printed every time I printed a letter. It stopped yesterday but is now recurring. I checked all the items in the JOB MENU. I re-set JOB MENU items but no change in printer behaviour.

Normally after printing a letter the Printer switches back to the READY state. Now the document description remains in the window and can only be removed by a cold reset, I cannot go OFFLINE because the window will not clear and revert to READY. It is interesting that the reset presumably clears the buffer but even a cold reset does not change the document counter number. How does one access this data I ask?

Can anyone help me fix this problem?

Big Al
06-21-2011, 11:27 AM
Just a guess but the problem might be in your computer. Do others use this printer? If you are the only user try deleting the driver and downloading the driver from HP.

If this fails, try reseating the formatter. You can also download the manual for free from the Internet.

Al

TerraAustralis
06-21-2011, 07:01 PM
Yes, thanks for your comment. The document description i mentioned must originate with the computer print software.
I had considered that and have trashed drivers and printer proxy prefs and downloaded new drivers. However you may still be correct. I would be grateful if a Mac enthusiast could give me a full list of printer prefs to trash.

I believe it is possible that given a networked system there may be other prefs that need to be trashed. I am working on that.

How do I reset/reseat formatter? I have a user manual which describes the process for resetting to factory defaults via a reset or a cold reset. I have done both several times. There is no mention of a formatter in the manual. I have downloaded an HP Technical Manual and there is no mention there that I can find, of a formatter. Is this a software item or hardware? I would have thought a reset to factory defaults would have included the formatter you mention. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Please comment Al.

redcow
06-22-2011, 01:11 AM
Go to page 6-15 of your technical manual. Also 3-17, 3-18,3-23,3-25 etc, etc

TerraAustralis
06-22-2011, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the references Red Cow. My User manual does not have 6-15. It finishes at 6-8. The other HP Manuals I have downloaded are combined service manuals and have either 6-15 Gear Train Assembly or 6-15 Assemblies Removal. What is the complete title of the manual you refer to please. If it has a manual document number that would help me find a copy.

redcow
06-22-2011, 12:37 PM
Manual Part No.
C3916-90984
(C2001A / C2021A)
HP LaserJet 4 Plus /
4M Plus
(C2037A / C2039A)
HP LaserJet 5 / 5M
/5N
(C3916A/C3917A/
C3952A)