PDA

View Full Version : LJ 4000 and constant 13.20 error.

GeoGoGo
04-27-2011, 02:34 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am working on a LJ 4000 that is giving a constant 13.20 error. The error appears as soon as the printer finished initializing. I never hear any motors turn at all. I disassembled the front end, removing the paper pick up and registration assembly looking for a jam. None were to be found. I swapped the fuser with a known good one and it had no effect either.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated! Thank you all in advance and have a great day!

Respectfully,

George D.

Big Al
04-28-2011, 06:54 AM
If you cannot find any paper in the visible paper path then you have a secret jam. As the paper comes out of the tray and goes vertical up the front of the printer then the paper turns back to go under the toner cartridge. Once in a great while you will get a jam at this turn and it is invisible. Turn the printer off, remove the toner cartridge. On the right side of the cover is a plastic link that goes down to the transmission to move the toner cartridge drive connector out to the toner cartridge. Carefully disconnect this from the cover. Remove the top cover. Two screws in the front, two in the back, and one or two snaps in the front. There will be a ribbon cable going to the top cover, be careful. You do not need to remove the top cover, just set it back a few inches so you can get to the jam.

There are two long screws that go down to hold this assembly, remove them. Looking into the front you will see some silver screws that hold the back of this assembly to the printer frame, remove those. You may need a flashlight to find them, they are burried back in the assembly. On the left side there are two purple wiring harnesses, carefully remove these. Now you should be able to get this assembly off and see the jam. It will be a whole sheet of paper wadded up about the size of a pencil.

Take care not to pinch the purple wires when you reset the assembly. Plug the wires back in. Set the cover back in place and put all the screws back in. Then reach down and pull the plastic link up and connect it to the hinged cover.

You can download the manual from the Internet for free. That will be of limited help but it is nice to have. When you get the jam cleared you can print it out! This is the only thing I do not like about the 4000 but this jam does not happen very often. Once you have done this it will go much easier the second time if it ever happens. I have only seen this jam a few times over many years and many 4000's.

Al

GeoGoGo
05-24-2011, 10:03 AM
Man, I am so bad at updating my threads. I am really sorry everyone. It was the registration paper sensor assembly had a broken tab on it and it fell out of place. I replaced the assembly, it snapped into its proper position and it was good to go.

Thanks as always for the assistance! Have an awesome day!