PDA

View Full Version : Weird Driver Issue on older Laserjet: can anyone help?

charmedlife417
01-08-2011, 07:18 AM
I have a strange but simple problem. For over ten years I have owned the world’s most reliable computer printer: a heavy-duty HP LaserJet 5N. It never breaks. This is the Maytag of printers. All the sudden it cannot be recognized by my laptop. I replaced the cable and tried again. Same issue. I also attached it to two other fully functioning laptops: same error message: “Windows couldn’t find software driver for your device.”

Someone told me to throw it away and buy a new one, that I got my money out of it, but I don't think that's the point. The printer works perfectly; it just cannot be seen by the laptop.

Has anyone encountered this, or does anyone with an electrical background at least have an idea what this might be? I am not highly technical, but my suspicion is that there is an output voltage issue coming out of the printer. If this is the case, there must be a faulty voltage regulator inside the unit somewhere. Any thoughts?

Please respond if you have any ideas. I love this printer, and it’s a real workhorse.

I’m new here, so thank you.

Big Al
01-10-2011, 06:24 AM
Are you going to the printer via Ethernet/RJ-45 or a Centronix cable? I assume it worked before so the problem is likely in the printer. Turn it off, remove the NIC if you have one, remove the right side cover by loosening the screw at the top of the back side of the cover, then lift the cartridge access door. Remove the metal RFI shield, remove all the screws that hold the formatter in place. Gently rock the formatter straight out towards you. These come unseated sometimes as corrosion builds up on the contacts. Reseat the board three times to wipe off any corrosion and put it back together. Wear a static strap if the humidity in the room is below 40%.

What operating system are you using?

If you are hooked up on an Ethernet cable try reseating the NIC, test it, if no go then reseat the formatter. Still no go, you may have a bad NIC.

Please let us know what you find.

Al