PDA

View Full Version : DesignJet 4000ps Fan Issues

Big Al
12-08-2010, 07:34 AM
We have fourteen of these and the processor fans on the formatter board are beginning to fail. The fan was a standard Pentium III fan, 60mm X 15mm. These have a duty cycle of 1500 hours. HP is replacing them with a two bearing fan, 60mm X 25mm, which has a duty cycle of 4000 hours. The issue is the longer screws they send with the new fan. On top of the heat sink is a sheet metal piece that the fan mounts to. The longer screws do not seat well in the holes. They screw right in but do not really bite into the sheet metal. I put in a complaint to HP but I am not planning to go on a hunger strike and wait for them to do something. Our solution was to put a drop of super-glue to the top of the shaft right below the head of the screw. Let it set overnight and the fan seems very secure now and the screws are locked down tight on the top of the fan. If we have to remove them that glue should break loose with just a little effort. Since we ship these out to disaster sites we cannot have these screws vibrating out during shipping.

When you take the old fan out, beware! At the factory they put two to four small washers between the fan and the sheet metal it mounts on. Best to put some paper or clean shop rags over the Gamut board to catch these critters when they fall. They are made of a magnetic stainless steel. Make sure the printer is unplugged in case one of these gets away from you. Do not ask me how I know this! Those little washers bounce and disappear! Wear a static strap if the humidity is below 40%.

Al