PDA

View Full Version : HP CP4025 Laserjet & printing labels

Dale_TLS
09-08-2010, 10:29 AM
Hi,

We recently purchased an HP CP4025 Laserjet specifically to print lables. We were informed that this printer was "rated" for labels.

The first month it printed the labels without a problem. Now, it prints a couple of pages and then does not pick up the next sheet of labels from the tray. If we pull out the pickup roller (I'm assuming it's the pickup roller ... it is a grooved roller that appears to contact the labels first), clean it well, and then put it back in, it works fine for a period of time.

We had a "qualified printer technician" come out and he said that our lables were "too slick" and that it wouldn't work. We have been printing on these same labels with another printer for years, until the previous printer died.

What are my options?

Here are my thoughts, and would love to hear your perspectives.

1. Buy multiple new replacements for the pickup rollers and change it about once a month. Does anyone know where I can buy many of ONLY the pickup roller?

2. Clean the pickup roller about once a week.

3. Other?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dale

Big Al
09-08-2010, 11:50 AM
Are you printing from tray one or tray two? If tray two make sure the labels have a little space on the sides and ends. If the tray is set too tight it will have trouble pulling the sheet of labels.

Tray one usually works better since the sheet travels a much shorter and straighter path.

Yes, you can clean the rollers. My favorite is "OOPS" sold wherever you buy paint products. It is an alcohol based solvent with some petroleum distilates and a little oil.

Yes you can purchase just the roller(s). If the printer is fairly new then the rollers are probably not the problem but dust on the rollers can cause problems with the heavier and slicker sheets of labels.

http://partsurfer.hp.com will give you the part number(s) you need and you should be able to download the service manual from www.hp.com/

I have printed a lot of labels and the Avery and the Office Max brand always worked well for me.
If all else fails try a different kind of labels.

Al

Dale_TLS
09-08-2010, 01:51 PM
Hi Al,

Thanks for the response.

We are currently printing from tray 2. When we try to print from tray 1, the labels are drawn in crooked and subsequently the printing is crooked on the labels. We would prefer tray 1, but it doesn't work out. The printer tech basically said "that's how it pulls in the paper. Nothing can be done about it."

Regarding the "space" on each side of the paper in tray 2, how much space should we have? 1/16th of an inch, or as much as 1/4"?

I will check out "OOPS". Thanks.

Regarding the brand of labels, we do not have an option. We manufacture our own labels. We can manufacture them differently, and may look into that.

Thanks again.

Dale

redcow
09-09-2010, 12:17 AM
If your printer is still under warranty, you are entitled to onsite service. You are taking a big big chance printing labels from tray 2. Put your labels back in tray 1 and start printing. When you get jams or skew, I personally would try a box of Avery labels that look like your companys' labels. (I'm assuming that you don't work for Avery). See if they jam or skew. If they don't, you guys are going to have to change the specs on your labels. If the Averys' jam and/or skew, call HP and and have them get someone on site. Do it every day until it gets fixed or they replace the printer. While that is going on, call your salesman and complain to him.

Page 97 of the User Guide has the specs for labels FOR TRAY 1. Labels DO NOT go in tray 2.

Big Al
09-10-2010, 09:42 AM
Hi Dale:
Be sure the labels have just a little space to move around side to side and forward and back, a sixteenth or so is plenty.
How many sheets of labels do you print at one time? Filling the tray up with some paper so the labels are sitting near the top of tray two may help some.
Redcow is right, tray one should work. Sometimes feeding from tray two can give a jam and labels are stuck all over the place in the paper path. Lots of work to clean up the mess.
What printer were you using before? I printed many, many sheets of labels with my old HP 4, now retired, and tray one worked fine. I did have to replace the tray one feed roller once. I was using the sheets of labels for a mailing list. Upgraded to an HP 4000 because an envelope feeder was available so I no longer use labels.
Please let us know what you find.