PDA

View Full Version : Epson Stylus Pro 4880

prntrfxr
08-03-2010, 02:38 PM
Got a customer with an Epson Stylus Pro 4880. White spots in cyan blocks of print test. I have no experience with Epson plotters, but I do know enough to know they are a different animal from HP plotters. Epson's cleaning program did not work. Are the print nozzles cleaned like the Epson inkjets (with a solvent)? Is there a method of cleaning other than the cleaning program? Any other suggestions about what to try?

Big Al
08-09-2010, 11:16 AM
Sorry, never worked on an Epson. It sounds like you have clogged nozzles on the Cyan head(s?). If you park these big inkjet/bubblejet printers too long the heads clog up. Sometimes we have had some success by getting a shallow plastic lid, fill it half full of a water based detergent like 409 or Krud Kutter and soaking the head for an hour or so. Clean it up and dry it off then try it. Check the expiration date on the ink. Not sure about the Epson ink but the magenta and cyan HP inks start to jel a few months after the expiration date. Clean the contacts on the head and the ribbon cable and give it a try.

Check to see if this printer has a sleep/wake up & clean the heads/sleep cycle. If so have the user leave it turned on all the time and be sure to print something substantial every two weeks.

Al

jcettina
09-06-2010, 02:13 PM
Hi
I'm an authorized tech for Epson. Sounds like you are printing the auto nozzle check and you have nozzles that are not firing could be because the head is bad or the inking system is not working properly
the problem with the auto nozzle check is very hard to see where the problem is that is why I do a print nozzle check. small horizontal lines in a step pattern. the other problem the the auto check is that when it cleans in between check it sucks down so much ink it always brings down air with it. do the nozzle check from the printer driver.
make sure the capping station on right side of printer which is part of the ink system is clean.
if the capping station is clean do a power clean sucks down alot of ink but sometimes you have to do this after the power clean do print nozzle check if nozzles are still bad you could have a bad print head
if you need more help call me at the shop
I'm on the web
Joseph Cettina
Laguna Service Inc