PDA

View Full Version : Laserjet 5MP manual feed fails to lift sheet and feed

Oldphart
03-04-2005, 05:35 AM
On my trusty old HP 5MP, the lifter mechanism on the manual feed tray is failing to lift the sheet and feed it into the printer. It begins the feed cycle and usual whirr and click happens, but the metal feedboard fails to lift up. Of course, this happens twice and then the error light comes on.

This began a couple of years ago with the occassional failure to lift, but now it fails to lift most of the time (though not always) and is rendering the manual feed tray unusable.

I suspect a roller or something needs cleaning or adjusting, but I am not sure how to access the relevant area. Hopefully it doesn't involve major disassembly. Any adivce or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Placebo
03-04-2005, 01:14 PM
It is actually most likely a clutch or solenoid in the manual feed assembly.

Oldphart
03-08-2005, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the suggestion.

Given my profound state of ignorance on the inner workings of the feed mechanism I am perfectly happy to accept your suggestions as to what might be the problem, but I am actually seeking advice on how to get access to the relevant area so I can ascertain what the problem is.

Placebo
03-09-2005, 11:17 AM
Well I don't know what you consider major disassembly but it will require some significant disassembley. Its been awhile since I've been in one of those printers so I wouldn't dare try to give you directions from memory. However if you are somewhat mechanically inclined I would suggest buying a service manual and digging in.