PDA

View Full Version : HP color laserjet 2500 not feeding paper

freshley
12-28-2009, 06:22 PM
I have an HP color laserjet 2500 printer that just started not working correctly. I have the repair manual for it and I think I have the problem narrowed down to a clutch or selenoid. I can't print a test page because it won't pull the paper from the only tray it has (manual feed on the front). I have the right side panel off and when you turn it on you can see the 2 motors on the side working (main motor and cartridge motor). All the gears on the side are turning but there are gears on the inside that don't seem to be turning and it looks like those are what makes the feed work. Didn't dig into it further to see what makes them work. I saw something on these forums a while back where someone had 3 of these printers doing the same thing, but there was no reply. Anyone know how to diagnose this?

Thanks

Big Al
12-29-2009, 09:58 AM
The first thing to look at is the feed roller that picks up the paper. Can you seen in the slot and tell if the feed roller is turning? If it is turning but not picking up the paper it will usally leave a skid mark on the paper. Cleaning or replacing this roller is the usual fix if the roller is turning. If not then you likely have a transmission/clutch issue.

Al

freshley
12-29-2009, 12:33 PM
I think its the tray 1 solenoid. The feed roller isn't turning and the tray isn't raising to engage the feed roller. I'm not sure how to get to this solenoid and then how to see if it's working or not. What voltage are these things on inside the printer? Can I hook up a 9 volt to it and test it that way?

Thanks

Big Al
12-29-2009, 12:50 PM
Sorry, can not help you there. Probably cost more to fix this thing than to replace it. How much new toner do you have on hand? That is a factor in deciding to find a lightly used sister printer and save the old one for parts or just get a new and better printer.

Al