PDA

View Full Version : Slow printing on LJ 4200

admobandy
10-21-2009, 03:08 PM
I know what you're thinking I've seen this before and the answer is obvious and easy, but please read...

The following things have been done...

1) Different driver on PC
2) Remove jetdirect card and use parallel port
3) New fuser
4) New jetdirect card
5) cold reset
6) blue dial in both trays set to standard and not custom
7) letter size paper in both trays
8) job storage enabled
9) job storage disabled
10) print quality lowered
11) optimized printing on
12) optimized printing off

When I do the cold reset printer speed is restored for information pages, but as soon as another job from a pc is sent then everything is slow again. All the rollers are in good condition, but the problem seems to be that it doesn't want to pickup the paper right away.

If you watch the tray from the back window it seems like the separation roller starts spinning right from the start when it shouldn't do so until the end of the print job so it's almost like the feed roller is fighting the separation roller for 10 seconds before it starts feeding paper...

cs_steve
10-21-2009, 04:58 PM
If this slow printing doesn't happen on internal jobs, just on jobs sent from computer, then I would also suggest doing firmware update ...

It will print slower if it thinks there's a different media type in the tray than there is (in other words, something other than plain paper, like cardstock ...) because it's warming the fuser up to a different temperature ... Are you sending one certain test document from the computer, or does this problem occur when printing from all types of software, like basic Notepad, etc.?

Also, if you print a Configuration page it's fine, then you print a test page from Word, etc. and it slows down, what if you go right back (with no Cold Reset) in between and print a Configuration page, is the Config page slow until you do a Cold Reset?

admobandy
10-22-2009, 10:03 AM
I did a firmware update and that had no effect...

If I do the cold reset and the speed is back to normal and have them print something everything is slow thereafter including information pages.

damianh
10-22-2009, 11:37 AM
I'll try with something from the mechanical side, why don't you try changing the main motor. better than that, when you start the printer, take a look to the main drive or the fuser drive and look how it moves, that could give you an idea if it is a mechanical issue. I'm just thinking that because the many things you've just tried before. hope it helps.

damianh
10-22-2009, 11:42 AM
I missed the part in wich you say that the roller are moving since the beggining of the printing, check the solenoid that activates the clutch for the trays.

redcow
10-22-2009, 07:34 PM
Are you sure that it's not the network?
Can you connect it to a laptop using the USB port?
The printer works with a timing chart. If something is not at the right speed you're going to get an error.