PDA

View Full Version : LJ4050 Paper Tray question

53tin
02-21-2005, 02:26 PM
I have a laserjet 4050n that seems to have problems detecting the paper size in tray 2.

It insists that tray 2 contains legal size paper. I can swap the paper tray with another unit and it works fine so I am sure that the problem is with the tray. The problem follows the paper tray.

I can find no paper size adjustment on the tray other than the guides and stops for the paper, which I have verified are set for ltr size.

I tried setting configuration from the control panel to letter but it has no impact.

HP suggested replacing the paper tray which I am sure would work but I'd like to understand the root cause. Does anyone know how the 4050 detects the paper size in tray 2?

Thanks for any ideas.

TombStone
08-25-2005, 03:09 PM
This problem is caused damage to the leaf springs connected to a sensor found on the right side inside where tray 2 resides about 2/3 the way in.

If you look on the side of your tray, you will see three plastic fingers. As you move the paper bars you will see the postion of the fingers move. These fingers contact the 3 springs and depress the contacts that identify the paper type. I am still working on finding what combinations will set which type of paper with my own LaserJet 4050TN.

You can try to see if the springs or sensor has been damage by pressing on them to see how much force they push back with. See if the spring back to their original position. Do this a couple of times and test to see if the Exec paper has changed back to Letter in a Configuration test.

If not, Replacing the 3 leaf springs may fix the problem. Last resort, order the sensor and replace. Total cost is around $20 for the sensor and springs. Shipping runs at $10 from HP.

Hope this helps.