PDA

View Full Version : Hp 4000/4500 & z6100

Big Al
06-16-2009, 10:26 AM
We recently received three HP 4000 plotters that would not put ink on the paper. Had to replace all the heads. Since then I went to school on these and the problem is that you cannot leave these machines turned off. After two to three months the heads begin to clog up. Black is first since it uses a pigment and the others are dyes. Leave them plugged in and turned on and it will go to sleep, then wake up every eight hours and run a head cleaning cycle, spray a little ink then stow the heads.

At school we had two training machines that had been parked. The black head would not spray. Tried very hot, almost boiling water, and soaked the bottom 1/4" of the head for a few seconds then tapped it lightly on a folded paper towel. After about twenty cleaning cycles I put it in the machine and it worked well enough to pass POST tests. The instructor said BonAmi Foaming Window Cleaner works well to. I have not found any yet.

Al

redcow
06-17-2009, 12:14 AM
When you power them on, how long do they take to come ready?

Another reason to leave them on.

I'm going to training on the DJ4000/4500 at the end of July

Big Al
06-17-2009, 10:05 AM
Training is at Xtranet in Troy Michigan, a suburb north and west of downtown Detroit. There is an Embassy Suites on Tower road right across the street from the school. We spent most of our time tearing down and putting back together the printers. If you fly in get on 75 South and the school is at exit 72. Get in the left lane and turn left onto Corporate drive then immediate left on to Tower, first building on the right.

These take about five minutes to go Ready.

Al

redcow
06-18-2009, 12:43 AM
Thanks Al, but my school is in Boise, ID

MichaelTech
06-24-2009, 01:40 PM
Ok, secret: Martin Yale Rubber Roller Cleaner is great for unclogging.
Spray on paper towel {not cloth} then press p-head on it for a few seconds, and wipe slowly one direction.
If not in use, there are head covers that will keep them from drying.

Big Al
06-25-2009, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the tip! Where do you get this stuff? The guy that taught the class also recommended Bonami Foaming Window Cleaner.

Yes, the heads go to a stow position with a cover to keep them moist but after two to three months the heads still start to clog up. This is a major problem for us since we are a depot level repair facility and they often get stored for long periods of time. We now keep them plugged in and turned on during storage and the eight hour wake up/cleaning/spray some ink/cleaning/stow cycle should help.

Al