PDA

View Full Version : LJ 2420 doesn't process data

atkinsonaz
04-21-2009, 11:56 PM
A hp 2420 prints test page, configuration page, but nothing from the computer. I changed from a parallel cable to a USB cable but it did not help. What circuit might cause this problem? Sam

Big Al
04-22-2009, 07:10 AM
Sounds like a Formatter issue. Before you replace the formatter you might try reseating the memory DIMM. Turn the printer off, remove the side cover, it slides right off, and open the metal door. Wear a static strap or keep one hand on some metal and reseat the DIMM three or four times. I have seen this fix some strange problems.

Have you tried a Cold Reset?

If this does not work do you have another printer you can swap formatters with? Mark the suspect one so you do not get confused. The printer's serial number and other data is stored in the formatter on a PROM.

Most 2420's have an imbeded NIC port for the network cable. Some came without an imbeded NIC port and later a 615 or 620 NIC was added. If this is the case remove the NIC and try the USB/Centronix ports again. A bad NIC can put a bit signal high on the buss and hang up the formatter.

Let us know what you find.

Al

redcow
04-22-2009, 09:13 AM
How about drivers?

Did it ever work? What actually happens when you try to print from the puter?

atkinsonaz
04-22-2009, 08:48 PM
It doesn't print from puter at all the memory chips did not change any condition. I ordered a formatter board today. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks, Sam

atkinsonaz
04-22-2009, 08:50 PM
If all the intell is stored on the formatter board, how do I install it and retain all information? Sam

cs_steve
04-22-2009, 10:34 PM
RedCow was asking you about what happens when you click "Print"?
You say it doesn't print at all, but when you click Print, what happens to the print job?

does the print job just disappear from the system tray (the little printer icon pops up in the right corner of Windows screen)?
do you get an error message on the computer?
do you get an error message on the printer?

it would be very unusual for a formatter to fail in the way you're describing ...
normally you get an error message of some variety...
I would be more suspicious of the computer side of the things, that the printer is not set up correctly in the Control Panel ...

If you're new to installing the printer / driver, here's a tutorial that might help:
http://www.printertechs.com/tech/tutorials/drivers/installdrivers1.php

damianh
04-23-2009, 07:15 AM
normally, if the formatter is bad, a message will be display on the panel to let you know what's happening. it doens't seem to be a memory error, most common simtom of this, is the display doens't show the characters, it only appears the light-blue ligth.
then, you say that you can print anything from the printer and you ain't got any response from the computer, well, so many times these failure happens to me, and i've changed the drivers and everything works ok!!. I hope this help you!!!