PDA

View Full Version : 4100 TN springs, separation pad

jdief
03-28-2009, 11:53 PM
I'm done with all but the separation pad assembly on the 4100TN. From the directions:

"The separation pad assembly is the same for the Laserjet 4000, 4050, and 4100. To remove simply take a small flat head screwdriver and pop out the plastic arms circled below. This will free the separation pad. Remove it and be careful not to loose the springs."

There is no way to get it out without the springs letting loose and I need some advice about how to get the springs back in. I keep dropping them into the cavity and having to fish them out with tweezers. Both springs are bent. Is this a fatal problem?

The rest was easy!

redcow
03-29-2009, 12:37 AM
You've got the old style separation pad assembly.
You need to replace the paper feed assembly to get the new style pad assembly. No Springs.

Big Al
03-30-2009, 08:09 AM
Try tying a loop of dental floss on the spring and it
will give you control of the spring and keep if from
falling too. Sometimes a hemostat works also. I have
on occasion used a rubber band, looped it over
a coil of the spring, then cut the rubber band
and fished it out after the spring was in place.

Al

cs_steve
03-30-2009, 06:53 PM
This one is tricky.... yes, it will take a few tries your first time.
You're going to need all your fingers :-) ...

1. There are two bumps on the bottom of the plastic pad assembly, the two springs fit onto those bumps ...

2. As you pick up the pad, hold the springs firmly against those bumps with your index fingers

3. Line up the free end of each spring with the corresponding groove in the base ...

4. Once those springs are lined up correctly against both the pad and the base, put pressure on the top of the pad with your index fingers to make sure the springs stay in place

5. Now you can lock the plastic arms in place with your thumbs and your middle fingers ... it seems to be easier to lock the left arm first, then follow with the right arm of the pad...

6. Just be sure to keep pressure firmly against those springs and don't twist the pad too much, or one of the springs will pop free on the install.

redcow
03-30-2009, 11:51 PM
You could have replaced the paper feed assembly by now

jdief
03-31-2009, 12:47 PM
Yes, I probably could have. I have not returned to the task to try the floss and hemastat approach. Doesn't seem viable.

How do I order the paper feed assembly?

I don't see it listed with the 4100.

Thanks again.
Jane

jdief
03-31-2009, 01:11 PM
Dear PrinterTechs,

I would like to suggest that you revise your instructions to urge customers not to replace the separation pad unless they have done one before. The current instructions say this is optional so all you need to do is revise them to advise. emphatically, Do not try this at home!

I now have two springs on and the third lost inside so I'm starting over. I feel like I'm getting closer but I also have to consider the possibility that, given the time this aspect of the repair has taken and may still require, the life of my old but true laserjet is over.

Everything else but this went flawlessly. Hence my disappointent.

cs_steve
03-31-2009, 02:51 PM
I would disagree with Redcow on his suggestion here ...
He is suggesting you replace the entire MP pickup assembly, but in my opinion -- having done a lot of these -- that install would be more technical and more difficult than installing a separation pad.

HP used to sell the entire assembly as Redcow suggests, but they began selling the pad separately because customers kept asking, "Why should I replace such a huge assembly when the only thing worn out is this tiny little pad?" It's a $40 part compared to a $4 part.

A lot of our competitors (including HP) don't include the separation pad in their kits -- which is why the pad is listed as "optional" ... but they should include it! :-) A worn-out separation pad is one of the #1 causes for paper jams from the manual feed tray.

One tip that might help: if you put a little glue or rubber cement on the "bumps" on the bottom of the separation pad, this could help hold the springs in place on these bumps as you try to install...

redcow
03-31-2009, 05:13 PM
To reiterate, The new style separation pads did away with the springs. The new style pads are replaced by sticking a small slotted screwdriver blade under the pad and twisting. The pad lifts up and you reach in and take it out. Slide the replacement pad in and snap it in place...done!!!
In order to get the new style assembly you must replace the tray 1 pick up assembly.

The part number that I have is RG5-5084-000CN.

The service manual explains how to replace it. And you only have to do it once.

cs_steve
04-01-2009, 02:46 PM
Redcow, I still gotta disagree with you on this one ... the "new style" separation pads did not "do away with the springs", they are still present -- like you're saying, with the new style, you can remove the pads directly from the base ...

the separation pads we send in our kits are the "new style" ... so she already has the "new style" pad assembly you're describing in her possession ... she just needs to get it installed! Once it's installed, then yes, for future installs, she can install it the easy way (just pry it up with a flatblade screwdriver) ...

However, to replace the MP input assembly -- you have to : remove the MP tray and the front door, remove the top cover (four screws), free the toner actuator arm, unplug the display from the top cover, remove the left side cover, remove the 6 screws that hold the MP input assembly in place, unplug the fan, remove the MP input assembly, install the new assembly, replug the wire, replace the six screws, replace the left side cover, replug the display, reconnect the toner actuator arm, reinstall the top cover ... is that much assembly & disassembly really easier / less technical for a user than installing the "new style" separation pad ? :-)

jdief
04-01-2009, 03:01 PM
Dear cs_steve and redcow,

Thank you both for your participation in my little venture.

The printer is back together and working beautifully.

I dont' know what to recommend. Now that I've done one I see how to do it again. The dental floss is key and so is a headlamp. The last time I lost the spring inside it was lost for a good long time. If I had not lost the springs inside I would have saved a couple of hours.

Perhaps a bit more description of how hard this step is would be helpful. The others are so easy that the reader wonders why this step doesn't have more it doesn't have more detail and words of caution and encouragement.

All in all, I think PrinterTechs has a great service.
Jane

cs_steve
04-01-2009, 04:37 PM
Good work! Glad you got it.