PDA

View Full Version : Horizontal text distortion / thick horizontal lines

cx222
02-10-2005, 08:48 PM
Hi,

The following problem is occuring on my Laserjet IIP Plus. A new toner cartridge had been installed 6 months ago and has been working fine until a week ago.

The problem (see bottom for sample images):
It's probably best to describe what happens when I print out a page containing only a uniform grey background. The leading inch is blank where it should be uniform grey. Immediately after this leading blank space is a heavy dark horizontal line (about 2mm thick) spanning the defined print-width area of the page. It almost seems like a blade has pushed all the toner from above to this spot, where it then fused. For the remaining length of the page, the uniform grey background was printed, however there are light horizontal bands of varying thickness, but seem periodic. These bands are probably rub-offs from the built-up toner that caused the thick dark line mentioned previously. Additionally, it seems that the longer the printer is inactive, the larger the white space at the top, however, thick dark lines sometimes occur in the upper third of the page. Printing multiple (10+) copies in a row does not solve the problem.

Also to note, when printing text documents, certain lines of text appear 'squished' horizontally, usually in the top third of the page. Horizontal streaks of about 5mm thick appear usually in the top third of the page as well.

In all cases, the toner is fusing properly. Running a cleaning sheet through doesn't solve the problem.

On the backside of the page are faint, periodic bands approx. 2 inches apart. The width of these bands are not constant and vary from 3mm to 10mm.

I can't determine if this is a problem with the toner cartridge (the toner cartidge actually includes the drum for this printer), or the mechanics of the printer itself. If anyone can point out what the problem is, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Mike

sample1r.jpg

sample2r.jpg

sample3r.jpg

Brian
02-11-2005, 05:00 AM
Does the printer sound any different now you've got this problem?

I seems to me that you've got a gear problem, possibly in the cartridge.

cx222
02-11-2005, 02:06 PM
No, I haven't heard anything unusual. I'm going down to the store today to see if I can get the cartridge replaced.

rapid refill
02-11-2005, 02:34 PM
Ok, sounds to me like you have a toner cartridge problem. On those cartridges, you have to cut out the wiper blade, which if not installed properly can and will pop up when the drum actuates, (turns) it will make the wiper blade stick up, giving you dirty, or bands across the page. Also the PCR roller that is in the cartridge, if not replaced can cause greying problems.
I would definetly get a new toner cartridge. Were the toners remans, or oems? If it is a reman. cart. I would try an oem.

Hope this helps,
Brent - RRI

Hi,

The following problem is occuring on my Laserjet IIP Plus. A new toner cartridge had been installed 6 months ago and has been working fine until a week ago.

The problem (see bottom for sample images):
It's probably best to describe what happens when I print out a page containing only a uniform grey background. The leading inch is blank where it should be uniform grey. Immediately after this leading blank space is a heavy dark horizontal line (about 2mm thick) spanning the defined print-width area of the page. It almost seems like a blade has pushed all the toner from above to this spot, where it then fused. For the remaining length of the page, the uniform grey background was printed, however there are light horizontal bands of varying thickness, but seem periodic. These bands are probably rub-offs from the built-up toner that caused the thick dark line mentioned previously. Additionally, it seems that the longer the printer is inactive, the larger the white space at the top, however, thick dark lines sometimes occur in the upper third of the page. Printing multiple (10+) copies in a row does not solve the problem.

Also to note, when printing text documents, certain lines of text appear 'squished' horizontally, usually in the top third of the page. Horizontal streaks of about 5mm thick appear usually in the top third of the page as well.

In all cases, the toner is fusing properly. Running a cleaning sheet through doesn't solve the problem.

On the backside of the page are faint, periodic bands approx. 2 inches apart. The width of these bands are not constant and vary from 3mm to 10mm.

I can't determine if this is a problem with the toner cartridge (the toner cartidge actually includes the drum for this printer), or the mechanics of the printer itself. If anyone can point out what the problem is, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Mike

sample1r.jpg

sample2r.jpg

sample3r.jpg

cx222
02-11-2005, 05:44 PM
I got a replacement cartridge at it works fine now. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Mike

cx222
02-11-2005, 05:46 PM
The old cartridge was actually an oem (hp brand). I was quite surprised it failed like that after only a few hundred pages.