PDA

View Full Version : 1050C Carriage belt replacement

Rover
11-20-2008, 04:10 PM
Recently replaced a belt in an HP DesignJet 1050C. Instructions said to check continuity at points under right rear cover BEFORE connecting power and turning printer on. (I did not check this before disassembly.)This is due to disconnecting the Trailing Cable from the printhead so it can be removed to install the belt. I have continuity here, so I checked the Trailing Cable, twice. Still have continuity. So I disconnected the Trailing Cable from the electronic control module completely. I STILL have continuity. Color me puzzled.

Is there an issue with this or something that needs to be discharged? Are the instructions backwards? Anyone ever run into this before? Instructions state that if there IS continuity, then the Trailing Cable is installed incorrectly and damage to the EM fuse can result.

Thanks for any thoughts on this or if anyone has run into this before. If I find an answer somewhere else, I'll post back here.

Tom

MichaelTech
11-25-2008, 02:56 PM
It just means that you are checking for a bad cable: a tear, or nick in a wire.
I have never checked for that, and have not had any problem.
If still an issue, re-install cables. Check the sockets for anything bent, and the ends of the cable as well.

Rover
12-01-2008, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the reply. I had ordered a new set of cables and they got here on Wed before Thanksgiving. I installed them today and everything is working fine right now. Should keep going, I'd imagine. The cables were pretty delicate and I did some steps that I probably shouldn't have so that may have been what messed up the cables. This was my first belt replacement. Much wiser now.

Anyway, cables replaced, good to go now.

Thanks for the reply.

Tom

jonbonse
01-28-2009, 08:15 AM
Hi

I need to do a belt replacement soon. . . .

Can you tell me if it is absolutely neccessary to perform the carriage height test with the carriage height tool after replaceing the belt?

If so, is there any way of doing this without the carriage height tool?

Thanks in advance!

John